Garmin Edge 1000 is it worth the money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I'll be on a 2 week holiday in the Dordogne this summer and will be taking my bike. I'm unfamiliar with the area so am thinking about buying a Garmin. I like the idea of 'round trip routing' where you can decide on how many miles you wish to ride, input into the head unit and it gives you 3 round trip rides to choose from which you can follow like a car sat nav.
The cheapest I can find is £291.95 which is expensive but is it worth the money?
I'm not technically minded so bare this in mind with any advise you friendly folk offer.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The 1000 has all the bells and whistles, WiFi, Bluetooth, cadence and HR, Power Meter Support, Live Tracking etc? Do you need those?
If not, look at the Garmin Touring (it has choose 3 routes option also but without Wifi, Bluetooth, HR, Cadence, PM and Tracking etc)

The main man for Garmin reviews is DC Rainmaker.
Here's his Garmin review site which goes into quite good detail each of the Garmins.

Edit:

1000 Review HERE
Touring Review HERE

Handtec (very reliable company) have the Touring for £135 (+p&p)

Last edited:
I'll be on a 2 week holiday in the Dordogne this summer and will be taking my bike. I'm unfamiliar with the area so am thinking about buying a Garmin. I like the idea of 'round trip routing' where you can decide on how many miles you wish to ride, input into the head unit and it gives you 3 round trip rides to choose from which you can follow like a car sat nav.
The cheapest I can find is £291.95 which is expensive but is it worth the money?
I'm not technically minded so bare this in mind with any advise you friendly folk offer.
If you'll use it after then why not. I went to France last year, took a map of the area, plotted a route, wrote down the turn instructions on a piece of paper, stuck it my back pocket and pulled it out as needed. Whatever works for you. My map was cheaper than the Garmin though.

iLB

Hello there
If you have a smart phone and downloads the maps.me app you will be more than covered. It's really not necessary, but if you are looking for an excuse for a new toy then why not.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The 1000 has all the bells and whistles, WiFi, Bluetooth, cadence and HR, Power Meter Support, Live Tracking etc? Do you need those?
If not, look at the Garmin Touring (it has choose 3 routes option also but without Wifi, Bluetooth, HR, Cadence, PM and Tracking etc)

The main man for Garmin reviews is DC Rainmaker.
Here's his Garmin review site which goes into quite good detail each of the Garmins.

Edit:

1000 Review HERE
Touring Review HERE

Handtec (very reliable company) have the Touring for £135 (+p&p)
The Reviews were really useful, thank you.
As you mentioned I don't think I need all the extra functions that the 1000 offers so I'll go for either the Touring or Touring Plus.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If you have a smart phone and downloads the maps.me app you will be more than covered. It's really not necessary, but if you are looking for an excuse for a new toy then why not.
Thank you for your reply. I think battery life on a smart phone may be an issue.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Reviews were really useful, thank you.
As you mentioned I don't think I need all the extra functions that the 1000 offers so I'll go for either the Touring or Touring Plus.

You're welcome.
I have the Touring and although it's a bit of a steep and long learning curve in how the use the machine, one mastered, they are great.

The only big difference between the Touring and Touring Plus is Heart Rate compatible.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You're welcome.
I have the Touring and although it's a bit of a steep and long learning curve in how the use the machine, one mastered, they are great.

The only big difference between the Touring and Touring Plus is Heart Rate compatible.
Mind made up, I had not yet made comparisons between both but HR monitor is not required so touring it is.
I have about 8 weeks before France so will buy one this week to practise usage.
Thanks again.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mind made up, I had not yet made comparisons between both but HR monitor is not required so touring it is.
I have about 8 weeks before France so will buy one this week to practise usage.
Thanks again.

If you need help. Give me a shout. Also check out the Garmin forums, which has some very useful tips and information.

albal

Guru
Does the touring model give 'campground ' as an option when searching poi,s in lodging?.. i have a 1000 and when i toured with it, only :hotel,motel and others was shown. Where as my colleague had a identical device and his showed campground ! I have tried garmi and gave up, they are hopeless. Thanks.

Top Bottom