Garmin Edge 200 can't connect to computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C Allen

Regular
Looks like there are a few Garmin 200 users on here so I was hoping someone could help me. I love my 200 and have had it for years but recently it stopped connecting to my PC. It turns on ok, start, stop etc all ok. Sometimes I find it doesn't save tracks to the history. Other times it does.

I'm using the same cable I've always used, but have tried others. It charges fine but I can no longer see it in Windows when connected. I've tried the factory reset (which resets only config, not my tracks, but I think that's how it's supposed to work). I've tried holding the button down on connection as described on garmin.com, which did nothing. Tried updating software, tried different computers, older versions of Windows, tried Linux and Android. I've cleaned the Mini-USB connector. I'm about to give up with it and maybe buy a new 25, but I will be sad to do so. Haven't tried opening it up but will do so if there's any hope it will help!

Anyone got any ideas?

The USB ports on Garmins are notoriously prone to contacts becoming corroded and it first manifests as difficulty getting a data connection.
If you open it up you'll likely need to replace the connector. Not sure what can be done about it not always saving rides, though.

robgul

Legendary Member
... also - give it time - my 200 (which I seldom us have a 1,000 too) often takes several minutes to connect to the PC

Rob

Sharky

Guru
Will be connecting mine tomorrow, after my last ride of the year, to clear out the rides and reset the mileage counter.
Will report back if problems.

Sharky

Guru
Will be connecting mine tomorrow, after my last ride of the year, to clear out the rides and reset the mileage counter.
Will report back if problems.
Just connected to my laptop to delete all the .fit files, so I can re-start the ride history for 2020.
Visible straight away and no problems.

D

Deleted member 26715

I was just about to post my 800 suddenly started playing up last year, I found I had rides on their from 2015, cleared them all out & not had an issue with it since.

faster

Über Member
I'd try more cables before writing it off. Mine seems to only works with certain cables - I *think* some of that old type of USB cable don't have all the features i.e they only charge and don't have the ability to transfer data.

I've also had a cable which eventually just stopped working.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
200s play up if they get too full. I'd also try a liberal spray of electrical contact cleaner (it's ace stuff - use it on all sorts of connections) on the usb port and reinstall the drivers.

Top Bottom