Garmin Edge 200.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I have seen two on ebay less than £25 including postage.Cheap, but what is the catch,how long does a battery last as it looks a right faff to change the battery over,cutting wires and buying a kit and battery set.Anyone know.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The battery of a new 200 will last all day easy.
However if it has been well used over a couple of years then the battery will have degraded.

I took my 200 to one of those mobile phone shops in town and they changed the battery for £10 (+£10 for a new battery off ebay)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have 2 that i alternate and both are about 4 years old , one doe's about 5 hrs if it's cold and slightly longer if not whilst the other does about 7 hours no trouble at all

faster

Über Member
A brilliant bit of kit. Does what it does perfectly - every time. Never crashes, never turns off mid ride and never fails to record. The battery on mine lasts ages even after years of use.

However, it doesn't do power or heart rate and the big one for me (which eventually forced me to upgrade), is that it doesn't download directly to Strava/Garmin Connect via Bluetooth. You have to plug it into a computer to download anything from it.

Navigation wise, it uses what is called breadcrumb trail. You plot a route and send it to the device, which provides a single line for you to follow on the screen - but no map. This works extremely well. I've now upgraded to a Garmin 520, which includes maps in the navigation. Having got used to not having maps on the 200, having the map adds very, very little.

I've only had the 520 a few weeks, and it has already had issues with freezing/failing to boot up, which took me about an hour to sort before heading out (thank goodness for youtube!). I miss the 200, but wouldn't be without being able to download activities via Bluetooth.

wonderloaf

Veteran
A brilliant bit of kit. Does what it does perfectly - every time. Never crashes, never turns off mid ride and never fails to record. The battery on mine lasts ages even after years of use.

However, it doesn't do power or heart rate and the big one for me (which eventually forced me to upgrade), is that it doesn't download directly to Strava/Garmin Connect via Bluetooth. You have to plug it into a computer to download anything from it.

Navigation wise, it uses what is called breadcrumb trail. You plot a route and send it to the device, which provides a single line for you to follow on the screen - but no map. This works extremely well. I've now upgraded to a Garmin 520, which includes maps in the navigation. Having got used to not having maps on the 200, having the map adds very, very little.

I've only had the 520 a few weeks, and it has already had issues with freezing/failing to boot up, which took me about an hour to sort before heading out (thank goodness for youtube!). I miss the 200, but wouldn't be without being able to download activities via Bluetooth.

Not sure how you're using bluetooth, but I can upload rides from my Garmin 200 to Strava via my Samsung tablet using a USB OTG cable so no need for a bluetooth connection or a desktop PC. I Plug one end into the tablet, the other into the 200, then open up Strava and manually upload the .fit file from the 200 which just shows up as a USB drive.

faster

Über Member
Not sure how you're using bluetooth, but I can upload rides from my Garmin 200 to Strava via my Samsung tablet using a USB OTG cable so no need for a bluetooth connection or a desktop PC. I Plug one end into the tablet, the other into the 200, then open up Strava and manually upload the .fit file from the 200 which just shows up as a USB drive.

I'm not using Bluetooth - the Garmin 200 doesn't support Bluetooth.

As my post says, I, like you, needed to plug it in.

I'm interested that you've downloaded to a tablet like that though. I'm sure I tried something similar a long time ago with a phone and couldn't get it to work for some reason. It may have been that the phone didn't supply enough power through it's USB port.

Are any apps needed or just the cable? I'll need to do the same soon but with a non-bluetooth Garmin watch, which should be similar.

rb58

Enigma
I have seen two on ebay less than £25 including postage.Cheap, but what is the catch,how long does a battery last as it looks a right faff to change the battery over,cutting wires and buying a kit and battery set.Anyone know.
Battery change is simple. You just need the battery and a precision screwdriver bit. And be competent with a glue gun or soldering iron to reconnect the speaker cables. Took me less than five minutes. And about another five minutes to put the old battery back when I discovered the replacement was DOA. Grrr.

Top Bottom