Garmin Edge 305 - Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have the above computer and understand that there is a function whereby I can download somebody else's route from the Motion Based website and race against their times. I can't seem to get my head around how to do this. The interface with the Motion Based software only seems to go one way and whilst I find it easy to upload my stuff I don't see how I can download someone else's. Also if I were to download one, I don't know how to race against it in the "virtual world". I'm no computer geek but I'm not a total flake either. The instruction book tells me that I can do this, but not how to do it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

gkerr4

Hmm - I think it is to do with the speed stamp on the route.

when you create routes on MB or the freebie ones like bikely etc, you state the speed at which you want to do the course - or if someone has actually done the course, it will have their actual speed there.

You need to download it to the garmin training centre, upload it to the 305 as a 'course' and make sure that the virtual partner is on. This is the same thing as when you have done a route, or a lap, yourself it will compare your progress to the speed stamp on the course to say if you are ahead or behind in the race.

redfox

gkerr4 said:
when you create routes on MB or the freebie ones like bikely etc, you state the speed at which you want to do the course - or if someone has actually done the course, it will have their actual speed there.

Don't know if this is relevant, but the data will only be the track was created from the GPS's active log. IME, tracks taken from saved log timestamps loose their timestamp data as part of the compression process.

OP
OP
DustBowlRefugee
Thanks for the above. Does this mean that when I next do the course, I have to be in Course or Training mode? The window which I look doesn't have any room to show any other data. I'm also not sure what I'm looking for, does it show distance (or time) ahead or behind my opponent? I can't seem to find where I can set it up to see and relevant data fields.

gkerr4

I've never actually used the virtual partner - should be out this afternoon, will have a play and see what I can find out about it....

yello

I've used the virtual partner - by accident as it happens! I created a route on bike route toaster and keyed in an average speed (more to try and work out how long it'd take me than anything else) and loaded it to my Edge (via MotionBased). As soon as I started the timer, a message displayed to say the course was found and the 'virtual partner' had started! When I bought the unit, I figured I'd never bothering using that feature so had no idea how it worked.

Top Bottom