Garmin Edge 500 or 705 - same price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been looking at the spec difference of the 605vs705.

Seems the 605 doesn't support HRM and CAD units, and doesn't have a barometric altimeter. I would go for the 705 on the basis of this, even for the extra money.

Flyingfox

I've just bought an 'as new' 705 with road performance package on eBay for £190 - can't wait for it turn up now, really fed up with going on rides and having to stop to get a map out.

henshaw11

FWIW, cyclesurgery have one of their 'timeout tuesday' deals today on the bryton rider 50 - ~140 rather than 200.

(Actually, it's 173 on http://www.selwynsport.co.uk/#/products/4544349057
- ie the importers)

For about the price of an Edge 500 I'm tempted, even tho' some features (performance traiing related) aren't there yet. Quite a few reviews around but I think they need to be read quite carefully to check for any drawbacks related to mapping - the Garmin's got the advantage of being around for so long.

It's ANT+ so should work with anyone else's speed/cadence/hrm...

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Veteran
FWIW, cyclesurgery have one of their 'timeout tuesday' deals today on the bryton rider 50 - ~140 rather than 200.

For about the price of an Edge 500 I'm tempted, even tho' some features (performance traiing related) aren't there yet. Quite a few reviews around but I think they need to be read quite carefully to check for any drawbacks related to mapping - the Garmin's got the advantage of being around for so long.

It's ANT+ so should workd with anyone else's speed/cadence/hrm...

Good spot - I have still not ordered a GPS unit and was looking again last night and trying to decide if the Bryton 50 is worth a punt. Best price I have seen previous to the deal you have posted is £170 at Wiggle. My biggest concern about Bryton is for how long will they be around to support and develop their software especially with the lawsuit that Garmin have filed against them. At the price cyclesurgery have it at it is a serious consideration. This or the Garmin 705 at £205. (I know the 705 comes with HRM and Bryton 50 doesn't so with the price for that brings the Bryton to approx £170). I wish I could just make a decision !!

Good spot - I have still not ordered a GPS unit and was looking again last night and trying to decide if the Bryton 50 is worth a punt. Best price I have seen previous to the deal you have posted is £170 at Wiggle. My biggest concern about Bryton is for how long will they be around to support and develop their software especially with the lawsuit that Garmin have filed against them. At the price cyclesurgery have it at it is a serious consideration. This or the Garmin 705 at £205. (I know the 705 comes with HRM and Bryton 50 doesn't so with the price for that brings the Bryton to approx £170). I wish I could just make a decision !!

Don't trust that big companies will be around to support and develop their software either (im talking about firmwares). 305 still has some calculation quirks (which is present in other models) yet they don't seem to see the problem.

henshaw11

Well, the lawsuit's only against the 30, not the 50 - it wouldn't surprise me if garmin get nowhere with it. The 50's been available in Oz for a while I think.

>(I know the 705 comes with HRM and Bryton 50 doesn't so with the price for that brings the Bryton to approx £170).

Mm, fair point - I thought the HRM straps were nearer the 30 quid mark than 40..

BTW - if you do want to order from Cyclesurgery - you need the discount code - TT80

Although the speed and cadence sensors are pretty generic (except the Garmin GSC10 which does both) I note the bryton one that wiggle stock is speed/cadence switchable for 27 quid..

*Update* - I've ordered one ! - based on the '500 + some mapping features' view. I did, after all, just start by wanting to fit a wireless computer on the recumbent :blush:

Hopefully I'll be swearing by it, rather than at it ;)

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Veteran
Mm, fair point - I thought the HRM straps were nearer the 30 quid mark than 40..

£40 for a soft strap one but about £30 for a normal one.

BTW - if you do want to order from Cyclesurgery - you need the discount code - TT80

Although the speed and cadence sensors are pretty generic (except the Garmin GSC10 which does both) I note the bryton one that wiggle stock is speed/cadence switchable for 27 quid..

*Update* - I've ordered one ! - based on the '500 + some mapping features' view. I did, after all, just start by wanting to fit a wireless computer on the recumbent :blush:

Which one have you ordered ?

400bhp

Guru
Been looking at the spec difference of the 605vs705.

Seems the 605 doesn't support HRM and CAD units, and doesn't have a barometric altimeter. I would go for the 705 on the basis of this, even for the extra money.

I have the 705 and, like you, believed the above factors meant I should plump for the 705.

I have yet to use the HRM (constantly forget to put the heart rate strap on).

The altimeter is pretty poor. For example, on a recent 60 mile ride, the Garmin told me I had climbed 2000ft. Upon uploading it to the Garmin website and using the height correction, it told me I had climed about 1100ft.

400bhp

Guru
Which one have you ordered ?

Any HRM strap should do, so long as it has its own battery.

400bhp

Guru
Important point for those buying a 705 and wish to use the mapping facility.

The base map (the map that comes with the unit) is next to useless as it only has major roads.

You will have to buy a more detailed map which costs at least another £30.

Some people have mapping from other products already, which is handy.

BUT... go to OSM (Open Street Map), there is a facility to export their maps, for free. They're not perfect, but getting there (also has off road routes etc, unlike some garmin tosh).

I have the 705 and, like you, believed the above factors meant I should plump for the 705.

The altimeter is pretty poor. For example, on a recent 60 mile ride, the Garmin told me I had climbed 2000ft. Upon uploading it to the Garmin website and using the height correction, it told me I had climed about 1100ft.

There shouldn't be any reason why the altimeter would be that far out, I would make sure you aren't being told the total ascent over the lowest vs highest point.

Also, you'd be better to check it against OS mapping of some sorts with altitude profile rather than relying on garmin's site.

400bhp

Guru
There shouldn't be any reason why the altimeter would be that far out, I would make sure you aren't being told the total ascent over the lowest vs highest point.

Also, you'd be better to check it against OS mapping of some sorts with altitude profile rather than relying on garmin's site.

I know what I am measuring :laugh:

Do you own one? Speaking to several owners then the broadbrush nature of the altitude reading is well known.

I ride with a friend who has one and when I've asked him whilst out on a ride the readings on both units are different.

I haven't looked into it but at a guess there are a lot of variables that will make the calculation awry .

I own another unit with barometric altimeter in it.

Initial calibration is done using GPS alt over a certain distance, absolute height isn't perfect from this, but relative should be pretty spot on.

potsy

Rambler

For the above reasons I have just ordered a 605. Don't need to know my HR, or how high I am, I also know how fast I'm pedalling without the gps telling me.

Only want it for mapping, and following pre-planned routes. Get ready for several posts on 'how does it work' type topics ;)

400bhp

Guru
Good choice and to be honest I don't blame you. :thumbsup:

Altitude is available once you've uploaded your rides anyway.

Top Bottom