Garmin Edge 500 or 705 - same price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rando

Veteran
I have been looking at getting a GPS cycle computer for my rides. Did originally consider the Bryton Rider 30 or 50 but have gone off these now just in case Garmin win their legal battle against them and Bryton stop supporting or updating their products.
So it is a Garmin Edge 500 or 705 and looking on the web for the best deals I can get the Edge 500 with HRM for £200 and the Edge 705 with HRM for £205.
Which one offers the best deal ? Basically I want the device for logging my stats from a ride but also to be able to follow routes that I have downloaded to the unit. How much easier would it be to follow a pre-defined route on the 705 with the maps over the bread crumb trail of the 500. (I know the base maps on the 705 are lacking but knowing you can get some pretty decent free maps now from open maps gets over this problem)
So for the same money which one wuld you buy - Edge 500 or Edge 705.
Need to get one ordered this weekend as I have a 100 mile charity ride next weekend and want to use it on that to follow the route.

Garz

Squat Member
Beside the bias factor of me already owning a 500, the main factors for me were:

Smaller, not bulky, fits on the stem well.
The ratio I use a pre-defined route to follow compared to riding and using it as a stat logger is about 1:50.

zacklaws

Guru
I use both a 305 and an 800, initially I liked the bread crumb trail on the 305 and found it simple to use and saw no need for maps. The only problem at times was if I hit a shallow fork in a road or multiple junction in a village etc and it could get confusing as to which one you needed and at times I could find myself riding down the wrong road so would have to turn back. The work around was to switch to the compass page and see which road the arrow pointed down and follow its direction.

A couple of months back I upgraded to the 800, and even though I thought I did not need maps, I find it much more easier to follow a route, as now I can see what is coming up in the distance etc especcially where I have to turn so now I rarely use the 305.

If I had the choice, I would plump for the 705, especcially when the price is the same as a 500. Both units are good, but the 705 gives you just that bit more. Plus maps can be downloaded free from the net if you cannot afford the expense of the Garmin maps.

Will1985

Über Member
I have both and have had to recommend to others which of the two to get. Unless you are an out an out racer who uses the same training routes all the time, get the 705 just so you have those mapping functions for when you are a bit adventurous.

ChristinaJL

If you want to follow a route you'll need a 705, as the 500 doesn't have any sort of mapping facility on it, although I believe it does record your route. I have the 705 and I love being able to plot a new route online and follow it, even though I can read a map/compass. :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you want to follow a route you'll need a 705, as the 500 doesn't have any sort of mapping facility on it, although I believe it does record your route. I have the 705 and I love being able to plot a new route online and follow it, even though I can read a map/compass. :biggrin:

As people have said above your post. You can follow a pre-loaded route on the 500. Although it's a breadcrumb trail rather then a map.

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Veteran
Well it seems the general advice is to get the 705 then. Been out this morning on bike and could had done with a 705 as i ventured down lots of new roads and into the unknown ! Did a good 59 miles in the wind and showers. After this mornings run i feel i would use the GPS device lots more for following pre-prepared routes rather than doing the same ride each time. Part of the enjoyment for mecycling is discovering new places that are off the main roads.
Thanks for all the replies so far.

ChristinaJL

As people have said above your post. You can follow a pre-loaded route on the 500. Although it's a breadcrumb trail rather then a map.

I'd better tell my mate then as he is the one with the 500 who told me it had no routing facility. :laugh:

ChristinaJL

After this mornings run i feel i would use the GPS device lots more for following pre-prepared routes rather than doing the same ride each time. Part of the enjoyment for mecycling is discovering new places that are off the main roads.
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I intially got the 705 for the HRM and cadence, thinking I'd not really use the maps since I can map read, but now I find that's the most interesting function for me and it really helps when I go to a new area. :smile:

705+HRM for £205? where.

I'm sure you can get a 500 for cheaper though.

705 has mapping, 500 doesn't - biggest different.

500 has the new better mount, 705 doesn't BUT the newer garmin mounts for the 705 605 305 205 are built slightly better.

800 is just fancy touch screen, and can take a few more mapping styles (including OS), but you're going to have to pay all over again for maps for another device etc (OS tends to cost more than regular vector maps).

Garz

Squat Member
The 705 was nowhere near the 500 a while back price band wise. Since the new 800 though it has put them closer together with the 500 not really dropping much.

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Veteran
If Handtec had the 500 in stock at £136 I would have purchased that over the 705 purely on cost but I have been looking daily at their stock for at least 2 weeks and it is still pre-orders only so that is why I starting looking at the 705 because best price other than Handtec for 500 is approx £205 with HRM which makes it the same as 705.

Top Bottom