Garmin Edge 500 - Set up advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Wonder if that would cheese me off on a commute? Every ride your 'best' time is ahead of you and you either can't be arsed or have the elements slowing you would be frustrating to say the least.
It would annoy the heck out of me.

I commute on my cyclocross bike 99 times out 100, but every so often I'll stick my suit in a rucksack rather than my panniers and give it a blast on the carbon. Did it yesterday and was 5 whole minutes quicker on the way in than the day before and probably 2 minutes quicker on the way home. There's no way I could ever match those times on the normal bike - So I'd forever be chasing unrealistic targets.

Garz

Squat Member
It would annoy the heck out of me.

Yeah it would have to have a toggle when starting the unit to 'ignore course virtual partner' or something - then it would be acceptable so if you felt like blasting it you could.

OT I updated my new 800 and even tough only 3 training pages are enabled 4 are showing when stationary and even more show on the ride. SORTED :blush:

FWIW mine set up with

P1
Travel 'Time'
Speed
Distance
Time of the Day
Average Speed
hr % Max

P2
Lap Speed
Lap Travel Time
Lap Distance
Temperature degC

P3

Elevation
Grade
hr (bpm)

If I don't fit the hrm , the 'hr % Max' becomes Grade, well that's the way my old 305was set up (apart from it only had 2 screens and no thermometer).
When I fit a cadence sensor that'll probably be added

ricnott

I have played with the info on the screens on my Edge 500 over the last 12 months and have settled on pages displaying information for key sections of a ride. Currently:
Page 1 - Commuting
Current Speed
Current Cadence
Average Speed
Clock
Moving Time
Average Cadence
Page 2 - Climbing
Current Speed
Current Cadence
Grade
Current HR
Page 3 - Training
Current Speed
Current HR
Current Cadence
hr % Max
Average Cadence
Page 4 - Club/Distance Rides
Current Speed
Current Cadence
Elapsed Time

I switch between the pages as I want to focus on different aspects of my riding. I like the control that Garmin offers in information dispalyed and logged.

Top Bottom