Garmin Edge 500 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I love my edge 500 however it would have been handy to have something with maps today.

I generally cycle on loops in a group or with Someone else and one of us knows the roads.

This morning however I ventured out solo over to Fife with a lot of smaller A roads I didn’t know, I had to stop maybe 5-10 times and check my phone maps and I still went the wrong road a couple of times.

The edge 500 is great.

PLUS POINTS
small and compact
battery lasts forever
easy to navigate

MINUS POINTS
need to connect to laptop to upload rides to connect/strava
no maps
sat nav is very basic

So I have had a look today at possible upgrades however my knowledge isn’t much on options.

I have the GSC10 cadence/speed sensor which I’d like to keep if poss to save me buying the newer ones.

I don’t want to spend a fortune and I’ll probably look for a decent used one on eBay.

Lets say max £100 budget for used on ebay, what do you all recommend please.

I‘d like one I can BT or WIFI my data to connect/strava
Must have maps that I can see my position on when riding.

vickster

Legendary Member
830, not sure you’ll get for £100 though (maybe go back a generation or two, 810 was the first to have Bluetooth uploads, my 800 didn’t)

steverob

Guru
In the Edge 500 range (if you're after staying with the same size/type of device) the lowest model that will show proper maps is the 520; although if you want to add customised maps, that model is very tight on free space on the device - for that you'll need to go for a 520+ or a 530 which have plenty of space.

For info about how to add custom maps on a compatible Edge, check out DC Rainmaker's blog about it.

Top Bottom