Garmin Edge 800 - back from the dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
About a year ago my Garmin Edge 800 stopped talking to my computer. It still worked as a GPS/navigation tool/virtual partner and it would recharge but I couldn't upload my rides or download any routes and there were one or two spurious error messages about 'unsupported devices' and 'xml receivers' or some such gobbledegook. As it was (just!) out of warranty I searched the web and found the most common problem was the 800's USB port - probably caused by water ingress. Solution - return it to Garmin and get a refurbished unit for $100 (about £70 at the time). The refurb would come with a 3 month warranty.

Well, for £80 I could get a new Edge 200 so I bought one as a stopgap fully intending to return the 800 to Garmin when I had a spare £70. Today I installed Garmin's updated Communicator plugin to 4.2.0.0 and it occurred to me to connect the old Edge 800 and see what happened. It worked perfectly!

Now I'm not saying it's the new software but if you have a zombie Edge 800 that you haven't got around to returning to Garmin it might be worth updating the plugin and giving it a try.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's nearly always a software glitch. If the device won't work on a number of computers, then you know the issue. It's tricky if you only have access to one computer though.

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Sadly it was a one-off, after that brief burst of connectivity the Edge 800 has steadfastly refused to communicate with my Mac and so I've finally bitten the bullet and booked it into Garmin for repair/replacement. Oh well, for just a moment there was a glimmer of hope!

About a year ago my Garmin Edge 800 stopped talking to my computer. It still worked as a GPS/navigation tool/virtual partner and it would recharge but I couldn't upload my rides or download any routes and there were one or two spurious error messages about 'unsupported devices' and 'xml receivers' or some such gobbledegook. As it was (just!) out of warranty I searched the web and found the most common problem was the 800's USB port - probably caused by water ingress. Solution - return it to Garmin and get a refurbished unit for $100 (about £70 at the time). The refurb would come with a 3 month warranty.

Well, for £80 I could get a new Edge 200 so I bought one as a stopgap fully intending to return the 800 to Garmin when I had a spare £70. Today I installed Garmin's updated Communicator plugin to 4.2.0.0 and it occurred to me to connect the old Edge 800 and see what happened. It worked perfectly!

Now I'm not saying it's the new software but if you have a zombie Edge 800 that you haven't got around to returning to Garmin it might be worth updating the plugin and giving it a try.
My 800 is doing exactly that and for now I have changed the settings to record to memory card. Eventually I'll get a refurb but for now it costs nothing and I put up with the pain of having to remove the card to upload/download.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My 800 is doing exactly that and for now I have changed the settings to record to memory card. Eventually I'll get a refurb but for now it costs nothing and I put up with the pain of having to remove the card to upload/download.
Good tip, @HLaB :smile:. I just checked and found that setting on my relatively new Edge 800. I checked the memory card on mine, and it has 2.62GB used and 1.06GB free, since it is of course holding the large map file. The internal storage, on the other hand, has 33.3MB used and 71.7MB free. Any idea of whether the internal storage is more reliable than the memory card? The latter clearly has heaps more space for trip recordings.

Good tip, @HLaB :smile:. I just checked and found that setting on my relatively new Edge 800. I checked the memory card on mine, and it has 2.62GB used and 1.06GB free, since it is of course holding the large map file. The internal storage, on the other hand, has 33.3MB used and 71.7MB free. Any idea of whether the internal storage is more reliable than the memory card? The latter clearly has heaps more space for trip recordings.
There about as reliable as eachother normally; the ride stays on the unit until you save it (start a new ride or reset), then it is transferred to the memory card.

Kins

Über Member
Have you tried reloading your firmware?

Top Bottom