Garmin Edge 800 Replacement

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

After 9 faithful years of service my Garmin Edge 800 has eventually succumb to failure, the on/off button well the rubber that pushes the button has parted company with the rest of the rubberised case. It still works but to switch on or off I have to find a pen or a screwdriver to do it. It has stood me well, with non of the dreaded lockups or failures that everybody said would happen, only thing I found was you had to keep the number of activities down to a reasonable amount or it would glitch.

I got a good deal on it from Halfords in 2013 it was end of line (810 about to be released) they were £290ea but they were doing 3 for 2, so with some friends we bought 3, then got another 10% off for something else which brought it down to £174 each. However when I got mine home I couldn't register the serial number it as it had already been registered, took it back to Halfords who reckoned somebody had bought it, taken it home downloaded the maps & brought it back. The manager said he could get it de-registered & give me £50 back if I wanted to keep it.

So that has brought us up to date, so the next question is what do I replace it with, I don't want mapping as for my eyes it too small, all I want is accurate GPS tracking, speed, elevation, temperature is a nice to have, cadence, multiple well 2 bikes, don't want to use my phone or a spare so whats out there, at a sensible price?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Explore has a big screen, does all you want (plus mapping) at a good price. Hard buttons on these ones. Connets to your smart phone - wil give you weather and what not.

si_c

Guru
I think @fossyant has nailed it, the Explore or Explore 2 are excellent options which do everything that you need. The screen is quite a bit larger than the 800 series the menus are greatly simplified (my technophobic Dad has little trouble using it) covers the requirement for sensors and whilst it can link to your phone, this isn't a requirement.

It also does mapping if needed, which is much much easier to see on the larger screen.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Watching with interest, my old 810 is due replacement and I'm looking at the Explore 2, seems to have all the functionality I need along with a slightly bigger screen which can only help as i get older.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I recently got the Explore 2, so far so good.

If linked to Connect on Mobile it can also do turn by turn voice instructions aka Sat Nav. Had that turned on today and nice and impressed.Bike gps have moved on.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Well I've gone & ordered it, got an order confirmation which is good, it's free delivery but with no expected date as of yet.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i went for the explore for the same reasons, only issue i have is battery life , its ok if your not in the habit of doing century rides but i had to put mine in battery saving mode to get around a few weeks ago , on a typical club ride of 65 ish miles i will be on about 50 %.Im wondering if my battery needs replacing ?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

i went for the explore for the same reasons, only issue i have is battery life , its ok if your not in the habit of doing century rides but i had to put mine in battery saving mode to get around a few weeks ago , on a typical club ride of 65 ish miles i will be on about 50 %.Im wondering if my battery needs replacing ?
Never had an issue with the 800, but I only ride MTB very rarely over 3 hours, I think I could have got away with the 130 plus, but it was only £15 more for this one.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

Do you have the original, or the Explore 2? Apparently they have increased battery life on the 2.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

the 130 is really small , smaller than a 200 and only has breadcrumb mapping
I'm not interested in the mapping as rarely ride where I don't know & I've found off road mapping incredibly unreliable.

Top Bottom