Garmin Edge 800 routing with non-timestamped GPX files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
During my upcoming June / July trip to various heights of Italy and then France, I'll be spending 11 days riding with a tour company, then 3 days of my own devising (based at a cycling lodge). For the 11 days, the tour company has provided me with GPX files recorded from previous instances of the specific rides I'm doing with them. For the remaining 3 days, I've created my own GPX files using the RideWithGPS web site. In both cases, the GPX files have track points with positiion and elevation, but no timestamp.

So my question is: will the Edge 800 provide me with turn cues (e.g. "left turn in x metres") given such files? Or does it require files with timestamps? I've already tried the Edge 800's routing function, but only on GPX files I converted from previously-recorded .FIT files, and so the track points in these GPX files contain timestamps.

I know I could simply follow the route's "breadcrumb trail" and not get lost, but sometimes it's useful to have the turn prompts.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If they're GPX tracks, they should work just fine for turn by turn...do on a 705 at least.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
If they're GPX tracks, they should work just fine for turn by turn...do on a 705 at least.
Thanks. I checked the provided GPX files, and they're the track ones, not the ones with only cue sheet entries. The ones I created manually are also GPX track files.

I'm not sure I completely understand your concerns but if you have a gpx file your Garmin will navigate with it and I've certainly created gpx files from rwgps and Garmin connect and navigated with them.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
If in doubt, make a little local loop and check it works..
Yes, I've manually created a GPX route for the commuting route home I plan to use today, so will try it and see how the Edge 800 handles it. It's a mix of road and shared path, so I had to manually edit some of the lines, but it looks fairly accurate.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not sure I completely understand your concerns but if you have a gpx file your Garmin will navigate with it and I've certainly created gpx files from rwgps and Garmin connect and navigated with them.
Note the words in bold!

So my question is: will the Edge 800 provide me with turn cues (e.g. "left turn in x metres") given such files? Or does it require files with timestamps? I've already tried the Edge 800's routing function, but only on GPX files I converted from previously-recorded .FIT files, and so the track points in these GPX files contain timestamps.

I know I could simply follow the route's "breadcrumb trail" and not get lost, but sometimes it's useful to have the turn prompts.
I never feel the need to use anything other than breadcrumb trail navigation for my rides.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If in doubt, make a little local loop and check it works..

This is a good idea.

Check out every function your device has to offer and test it on local rides from hope. Roads that you know well. Then when you get to France or Italy, it will not be sending you into the wrong pass.

Practice with the POI if you have them. Its always nice to find a garage for refreshment.

I have the Garmin Touring and it does do odd things on occasion. But I am always trying it on different things, so I dont get caught out.

PS. A paper map is still very useful.

Top Bottom