Garmin Edge 800 - usb device malfunctioned, now dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Got back from a ride and plugged it in as normal, only for it not to be recognised?

Thats odd, retry and the computer says the usb device has malfunctioned. try a few more times, try new lead and now the 80 wont come on at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a registered device so i went through garmin site to report and it said sorry the device is out of warranty

Any ideas, suggestions, help in contacting garmin?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
  1. Power device off
  2. Press and hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
  3. Power device on while still holding both buttons
  4. Continue holding buttons when the Garmin "splash" screen appears
  5. Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Thanks T.M.H.N.E.T your a genious, how did you know that?

it worked first time, also recognised by the computer now. id just finished manually putting my ride in, ive now uploaded the real one, i preferred my manual upload as i was faster on that one^_^

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
i can only assume that the malfunction slowed my ride down and that the manual upload is more accurate
Of course :smile:. Whenever there are 2 conflicting records of a cycling trip, the one with the fastest average speed is always correct. I'm very disappointed at the Velominati for never including this in their list of rules.

1. Power device off
  2. Press and hold Lap/Reset and Start/Stop
  3. Power device on while still holding both buttons
  4. Continue holding buttons when the Garmin "splash" screen appears
  5. Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears
Could you put this in your user guide thread as well pls. Nice to have all information in one place

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Of course :smile:. Whenever there are 2 conflicting records of a cycling trip, the one with the fastest average speed is always correct. I'm very disappointed at the Velominati for never including this in their list of rules.

often I return home only to upload my ride and find the 'data' suggest a rode much slower than it felt.

This is an obvious flaw with my 800, all my other devices have also suffered from the same flaw, I may have to resort to mnually uploading all rides as the 3 gps and 2 smartphones used so far are highly inaccurate

Baggggerz

often I return home only to upload my ride and find the 'data' suggest a rode much slower than it felt.

This is an obvious flaw with my 800, all my other devices have also suffered from the same flaw, I may have to resort to mnually uploading all rides as the 3 gps and 2 smartphones used so far are highly inaccurate

David, I used to get this. The reason being, I didnt have the speed sensor magnet fitted correctly. If the magnet is sensed, the 800 will use this to record speed, if not fitted correctly, it will mis-record. My guess is that the magnet is either not close enough to the sensor or that it isnt far enough down the spoke. Line it up with the end of the senso, not the middle. There is a mark on the sensor if you look close enough.

One other issue I had was that I left my 910xt on whilst using the 800 for the ride and got 2 differing recordings.

Top Bottom