Garmin Edge 820 stopped recording before end of trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've been using a Garmin Edge 800 for several years, and it's been reliable, but I know they don't last forever, so recently, after reading various discussions on what GPS computer to use, I bought a Garmin Edge 820 and a Wahoo Elemnt (yes, I know, but: I like gadgets :addict:).

This morning, I used the 820 along with the 800 on my ride to work, and was disappointed to find that the 820 stopped recording several km before the commute was over, and prompted me to save the ride.

Have any of you seen this, and if you did, then what firmware version was it running? Mine is currently on 7.00, which is quite an old version, because the latest is 9.10. From previous experience, Garmin GPS units don't like downgrading to earlier firmware versions, so can any of you recommend the best firmware version to use, i.e. > 7.000 and <= 9.10?

Another problem I saw is the total ascent: before the 820 stopped recording, I looked at both Garmins and found that the 820 total ascent value was about 15% lower than on the 800. I've been using the 800 for long enough to be confident that its total ascent is reasonably accurate, so I'm not happy about this either. :angry:

I haven't tried using the Wahoo Elemnt yet: I've only done its setup. I'll probably continue using both Garmins for the rest of this week, then next week I'll try the Edge 800 along with the Elemnt.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I ride with friends who all have various gps devices including different versions of Garmin - they all read different heights & distances for any given ride. It can also make a difference on Garmin if you have 'elevation corrections' enabled or diabled

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I ride with friends who all have various gps devices including different versions of Garmin - they all read different heights & distances for any given ride. It can also make a difference on Garmin if you have 'elevation corrections' enabled or diabled
Where is the elevation correction setting? The incorrect elevation I mentioned is on the 820 unit itself, by the way, not on Garmin Connect or any other software which might apply its own corrections.

iluvmybike

Über Member
When you are logged on to Garmin Connect and select any ride - you will see a pic of your Garmin on right hand side. Underneath that is a setting for elevation corrections being enabled or disabled. That will set it on the unit for you.

Top Bottom