Garmin Edge 820 strange behaviour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Something strange happened to my Garmin when I went for a ride , late this morning. The temperature was 6.5 degrees and after a few minutes into my ride, my Garmin screen went off. I turned it on again but the same thing happened a few minutes later. I know the battery was still charged so I ignored it and carried on with my ride.
When I got home, I switched it back on just to see and hey presto,to my amazement, my ride was recorded fully.
It has never done that before so I wonder if the cold weather was responsible for that?

Big T

Guru
It sounds like it had gone into battery save mode, which turns the screen off but still records the ride. Whether you inadvertently did something to make this happen, or it did it on its own, I’m not sure. My wife has an 820 Explore and it regularly goes into battery save mode of its own accord. My 520 Plus never does this, and neither did my previous Garmin 810.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It sounds like it had gone into battery save mode, which turns the screen off but still records the ride. Whether you inadvertently did something to make this happen, or it did it on its own, I’m not sure. My wife has an 820 Explore and it regularly goes into battery save mode of its own accord. My 520 Plus never does this, and neither did my previous Garmin 810.
You could be right. I will go into setting and check it out. I want my screen to stay on all the time as I like the information it constantly gives me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had a similar experience about ~20 years ago. Different temperature and device though. I was in Northern Finland at probably about -20°C (although the GPS was in my jacket pocket so not that cold) using a Garmin GPSMap 76S (an indestructable brick). The cold temporarily killed the display but it kept on recording. A bit more extreme than your case but similar.

Top Bottom