Garmin edge explore 1000, any good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redstev

Regular
Hi all.
I've seen edge explore 1000 for £350 at Argos is it any good ? And is that a good price.
I mainly want it for directions really and I only do road biking.
Be handy to have some more stats I suppose but I usually just record distance using my iPhone so am I paying for more than I really need.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

vickster

Legendary Member
You might want to search the forums for views, good and bad on Garmins. I have an 800 and tbh even with official maps, the directions are pretty unreliable

Look at the new Wahoo elemnt at £250 as an alternative

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Wahoo/ELEMNT-Cycling-GPS-Computer/CDJA

£350 sounds a lot for a garmin
You could always just use your phone with a back up battery costing about a tenner

Last edited:

User269

If it's mainly for directions and basic ride data, the 1000 is probably overkill. For £100 less take a look at the Edge Explore 820.

broady

Veteran
I sold my Garmin 1000 explorer for £150 and kept the full 1000. I would be looking at the Wahoo personally if buying new.
The maps on the 1000 and explorer are both fantastic imo and much easier to use than any of the other Garmin Edge range.
You can get the old 800 for less than £100 most the time on eBay or the touring

Hasty123

If it's predominantly for the mapping, the Garmin Edge Touring can be found for less than £160 at all the usual cycle superstores. It's not a performance monitoring device, but it gives the essential speed, distance data. It also features ROUND TRIP ROUTING. This means you can ask it to plan a bike friendly 30 mile loop, great when riding somewhere new. You also get Turn by Turn instruction (as you do with all three models mentioned in my post)

The Edge 820 Explore is probably the better option. It comes with high resolution basemap (built-in) covering Europe. Being newer, it also includes all the latest Garmin features like LiveTrack, Weather Alerts, GroupTrack, Smartphone alerts and Personal Bests ...

The Edge 1000 is good if you want to add SD Card maps (the 820 does NOT have SD Card slot, the Touring does) and also if you want a BIGGER headunit with larger display ...

NOTE - if you want to add POWER metering the Edge 820 Explore will not support it .. the regular Edge 820 does, without any loss in MAPPING / NAVIGATIONAL functionality. The regular Edge 820 is less than £280 at Wiggle and other stores, that's what I currently use :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Does the explore allow you to put in a postcode?
Should do as it’s basically an 800 with maps

david k

Hi
The touring is the same I think

Have you looked at Wahoo?
Not really, I'll check them out

I've read questions on Amazon and it says that it uploads automatically via iPhone, so I'm happy about that

Don't think it does postcode search but does by address, so that fine for me, also does heart rate so I'm pretty covered

If I join British cycling again I can get an extra 10% off at Halfords so would be £162

It's bigger than the 820 and I like a bigger screen

I think the functionality of the mapping is better than the original 800

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really, I'll check them out

I've read questions on Amazon and it says that it uploads automatically via iPhone, so I'm happy about that

Don't think it does postcode search but does by address, so that fine for me, also does heart rate so I'm pretty covered

If I join British cycling again I can get an extra 10% off at Halfords so would be £162

It's bigger than the 820 and I like a bigger screen
Maybe they’ve updated it. I moved to Wahoo a while back as the newer Garmins seemed to be very buggy from reviews

Top Bottom