Garmin Edge Explore 2 - Battery issues!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I bought a brand new Garmin Edge Explore 2 early December last year.
I charged it fully before use, as instructed, set it all up, fitted a nice anti-glare screen protector, and put it back in the box, in my home office drawer (so not a freezing cold garage) at 98% charged (it never seems to charge to 100% no matter what I do, USB or mains, or how long I charge it for.) Actually, it did once show 100% but went immediately to 98% as soon as I removed it from charge, before I even turned it on!
It was not used or even turned on, after charging it and putting it back in it's box, as illness and other problems means I have not ridden for a while.
However, I got it out to use for the first time yesterday, having, as mentioned above, left it at 98% a few weeks ago, and guess what, it was flat as a pancake at 0%. It wouldn't even turn on.
Now it had been a few weeks and I expected it to have lost a bit of charge, but surely not all of it?
Anyway, I called Garmin today and explained, and they agreed that this (and it not ever charging to 100%) was not normal and not acceptable.
They promptly sent me a pre-paid address by email to send the unit (strangely minus box or anything else, literally just the unit) back to them and they are sending me a new replacement.
They did say that this issue was known to them on some units and that they were looking into it. OK, so at least I know I'm not going crazy or being 'picky'.
I did ask if the replacement would have the same issues, after all they were 'looking into the issue' so obviously hadn't resolved it yet? They said that it could be a certain batch of batteries or units and that mine, along with others could help identify if there were a commonality pointing to a certain manufacturing batch or batch of batteries.
I am now awaiting my replacement unit and am a little annoyed, as I had to remove the nice anti-glare screen protector, and only hope it will re-attach to the new unit, otherwise I'll have to buy another, a small thing really but irritating.

Anyone else had these issues with Garmin units? Are they common or am I just unlucky?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Did you turn it off or just put it in sleep mode?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What, exactly, is the issue? I think it's that your battery ran flat over a period of weeks while the device was turned off.

Is that actually a problem? It's not something I've ever noticed because if I haven't used my Garmin for a period of weeks (whether on or off) then I charge it before use.

If it's running down to flat over a short period while in use, then that is a problem. Discharging over a period of weeks while not in use might be vaguely interesting but it's not a problem because it's easily solved. Charge it up before use.

As to not charging up to 100% some people have reported this on various models, I think you can address it with battery recalibration. But you don't need to as you're getting a replacement.

They're guaranteed for 2 years from date of purchase I think. And Garmin are sending you a replacement. Seems like pretty good service to me.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

What, exactly, is the issue? I think it's that your battery ran flat over a period of weeks while the device was turned off.

Is that actually a problem? It's not something I've ever noticed because if I haven't used my Garmin for a period of weeks (whether on or off) then I charge it before use.

If it's running down to flat over a short period while in use, then that is a problem. Discharging over a period of weeks while not in use might be vaguely interesting but it's not a problem because it's easily solved. Charge it up before use.

As to not charging up to 100% some people have reported this on various models, I think you can address it with battery recalibration. But you don't need to as you're getting a replacement.

They're guaranteed for 2 years from date of purchase I think. And Garmin are sending you a replacement. Seems like pretty good service to me.
Not an issue as such, or at least not one that's not being sorted.
I'm just sharing with the group, and curious if this is a common 'thing' with these devices, or if I was just unlucky?
I agree, pretty good service so far, can't fault them.
As I said, just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same issue?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not an issue as such, or at least not one that's not being sorted.
I'm just sharing with the group, and curious if this is a common 'thing' with these devices, or if I was just unlucky?
I agree, pretty good service so far, can't fault them.
As I said, just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same issue?

I've seen some horror stories on the web of bad customer service from Garmin, but my personal experience has been exceptionally good. I had an out-of-warranty device replaced with a much upgraded equivalent for zero charge a few years back but I've read that they have started charging significantly for this lately.

I hope you get it sorted.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've seen some horror stories on the web of bad customer service from Garmin, but my personal experience has been exceptionally good. I had an out-of-warranty device replaced with a much upgraded equivalent for zero charge a few years back but I've read that they have started charging significantly for this lately.

I hope you get it sorted.

Same here, my in-warranty Garmin 130 stopped charging suddenly and after a quick phone call to Garmin they sent out a new (well, refurbished) unit straight away. I suspect the reason it stopped charging was that one of the USB contacts got damaged, so I now take great care when inserting/extracting the plug.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
i shouldn’t sweat it. They’re sending you a replacement which is all they can do. If you feel there’s a problem with the line sell it and move to another product.

oldmanmx

I've got the same problem. Just this week used it for a short ride and had 78% charge left. 10 days later went to use it again and showing 1%. The only way I can make sure it's always ready is to leave it connected to the charger which is not a good thing. My old 810 was much better than this thing.

Person

I didn't use my garmin edge explore 2 for six weeks and was surprised that it had 81% battery life from the 100% I left it with. At the beginning of the year it stopped changing to 100% - I think to about 85% - so I ran the battery out and it solved the problem.

Top Bottom