Garmin edge explore or 520 plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apb

Veteran
Hi i'm thinking of getting a new GPS device and have narrowed it down to these two.

I currently have a edge 25 and it suits well but for two things. It only has bread crumb navigation and a single charge only last for 8-9 hours. I tend just to look at the navigation and current time when I'm out for a ride and when coming to a junction it can be hard to chose the correct path. The charge won't last a 200km audax and you cannot charge the 25 during a ride.

The thing a really like about the 25 is Bluetooth connection. It is very easy to get rides off my device and routes on the device. I quite like Garmin connect to plan rides (better than Strava), but find Strava better at reviewing the rides.

The good points about the edge explore and the 520 are that you can recharge them on the go and the maps.

I'm not interested in power metres or using the device to find the nearest café.

I'm really interested in using it for navigation during long rides. Has Bluetooth to connect to my phone as i have an old computer and do my best to avoid turning it on to connect to a device.

I seem to favour these two.
The explore because it doesn't have the bells and whistles and sounds like it's want I'm after or the 520 plus because it looks tidy and has longer battery life.

I'm not sure if the touch screen will be just a hassle. Or if I'd find the 520 plus screen a little small for map reading (which I doubt).

Any thoughts?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Did you consider Wahoo?

OP
OP
A

apb

Veteran
Yeah, the navigation looks better on the Garmin, and planning a route on Garmin connect and putting on the Garmin is really slick.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yeah, the navigation looks better on the Garmin, and planning a route on Garmin connect and putting on the Garmin is really slick.

Hmm. I got rid of my Garmin because it’s slickness. So slick, the software slipped up time and time again. Looks aren’t everything. Google Garmin software issues maybe before you plunge in. There are also much better route planners than Connect which sync faultlessly with Wahoo.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Do you use the element or bolt?

The Elemnt. It’s bigger, so apart from the screen being easier to see when I’m tired or it’s dark, but also it houses a bigger battery. The Bolt is entirely the same piece of equipment, just smaller and aero if that’s important. I do like it, but I’ll confess I have been looking at the new Lezyne Super C and Mega XC. EXTRAORDINARY battery life!

david k

Hi
Garmin explore is only £185 currently, I want a gps device mainly for maps and navigation is this the best option?

vickster

Legendary Member
Garmin explore is only £185 currently, I want a gps device mainly for maps and navigation is this the best option?
The 820 is £141.75 at Halfords (or was). Less 10% BC discount if a member. You can add open source mapping if it’s not included. The touring needs to be attached to a PC for uploading/adding planned routes as no blutooth

lane

Veteran
If you are primarily interested in navigation and battery life the Etrex might be worth looking at either 20 or 30. They are reliable and give good battery life from a couple of AAs. They don't work on wifi or bluetooth as more modern devices but have to be plugged into a computer. Otherwise another recomendation for Wahoo which are more expensive but very good.

Top Bottom