Garmin Edge Touring dislikes booting in lower temperatures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Are there any gurus out there who have come across this problem, or better yet, can suggest a solution?
My Edge Touring is around five years old and has (generally!) given good service, but in recent months has started failing to boot properly, instead booting into a diagnostic mode:

Medium_IMG_2307.JPG

This only happens when the ambient temperature is < around 20°C, which here in the UK is rather inconvenient! Short of turning it off and on again, and warming it up, you can't get out of this mode. I've tried soft and hard resets; neither cured it.

I've tried Garmin's support system without success - they acknowledged receipt of my request, but when I supplied them with the additional information they asked for (including the above photo), I got no further response. I've also searched t'Interwebs, but that bore no fruit either. So I throw myself on the accumulated wisdom and legendary beneficence of the CC community. Any thoughts folks? Please 🙏

Edit - I have also replaced the battery - not an easy job. Nope, that didn't work either!

Last edited:
I have the same model. It's ok and doesn't go wrong often - but it mostly plays up when I am following a route !!!! When I most need it.
are there any firmware updates you could apply ? - that's probably what Garmin support will suggest first off !

The only thing I can suggest is to hammer Garmin and their "customer service".

If they're active on Facebook or Twitter try there; I've heard anecdotal evidence that a lot of companies pay more attention to visible social media than to "hidden" channels.

Failing that, hammer the Garmin and come over to the Wahoo side ^_^

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
from what info i can find on google, my understanding is that maybe one of the buttons have 'become stuck' or 'sticky'. Usually theres a button combination or you hold down a button during the device start up that takes you to the diagnostic screen.

Maybe some moisture might of gotten inside and corroded some of the contacts which is causing it to behave funny.

Hopefully garmin will get back to you and offer you money off an upgrade for your trouble.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I have the same model. It's ok and doesn't go wrong often - but it mostly plays up when I am following a route !!!! When I most need it.
are there any firmware updates you could apply ? - that's probably what Garmin support will suggest first off !
Just occasionally mine also plays up when out and about, but restarting the 'course' I'm following usually gets things back on track ... so to speak.
Apologies, and thanks for mentioning it, I should also have said the firmware is up to date. The last update provided was 2017, since which there have been none.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
The only thing I can suggest is to hammer Garmin and their "customer service".

If they're active on Facebook or Twitter try there; I've heard anecdotal evidence that a lot of companies pay more attention to visible social media than to "hidden" channels.

Failing that, hammer the Garmin and come over to the Wahoo side ^_^
Good point re social media. Not a FB user, but I have now given the Twitterstream a try - let's see whether that stirs anything up.
Before heading out to NZ I felt I needed a backup in case the Edge tumbled ever deeper into it's diagnostic dithering. I considered Wahoo at that time, or a new Explore, but wasn't willing to stump up extra expense (Yorkshireman born of a Scot 'n' all 😉). So I bought a cheap, slightly older model but new smartphone, paid the very reasonable price for the Osmand app and am giving that a go. Battery life for a full day's touring is a naturally a problem, but I'm working around that. It certainly has benefits over a dedicated gps device but unsurprisingly, shortcomings too. It does the navigating really well, but it's less useful for providing ongoing information (speed, distance travelled, elevation profile etc) in the simple way a gps device does.
Might have to bite the bullet someday, but since touring is largely on hold atm 🙁, there's little imperative to jump.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
from what info i can find on google, my understanding is that maybe one of the buttons have 'become stuck' or 'sticky'. Usually theres a button combination or you hold down a button during the device start up that takes you to the diagnostic screen.

Maybe some moisture might of gotten inside and corroded some of the contacts which is causing it to behave funny.

Hopefully garmin will get back to you and offer you money off an upgrade for your trouble.
Good point. Someone did mention, perhaps on CC (Eek! Have I posted this before?!) that corrosion or a 'dry' joint might be the cause. If so, I guess I'm stuffed unless, as you suggest, Garmin come through with an offer.
Perhaps expecting more than five years out of a device is being unreasonable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Perhaps expecting more than five years out of a device is being unreasonable.
I have been making heavy use of my Garmin Etrex since 2006! It has been extremely reliable. Mind you, it uses much simpler technology.

🤔 are cargo ships to Mexico still taking passengers I wonder ... :addict:
Unfortunately, travelling by cargo ships could well be a long term victim of the pandemic.
I checked in with the agent a while ago to see how the ship & crew were doing and the logistical pressures were a nightmare!

But hey! They got airplanes ^_^ and walking is the perfect pace for exploring ^_^

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Unfortunately, travelling by cargo ships could well be a long term victim of the pandemic.
I checked in with the agent a while ago to see how the ship & crew were doing and the logistical pressures were a nightmare!

But hey! They got airplanes ^_^ and walking is the perfect pace for exploring ^_^
I imagined as much.
Was listening to a BBC World Service prog the other day about the dire situation many crews are facing - "Every month, 100,000 seafarers leave their ships and are replaced by others. But due to covid-19, most of these crew changes have been cancelled for several months. Seafarers are in effect prisoners unable to leave the ship."
Most of us recognise the extreme circumstances many key workers have faced recently - they're our family, friends or neighbours. But those at sea are, according to the programme, not classified as key workers and therefore don't attract the adjustments made for their land-based counterparts. Sadly, out of sight, out of mind it would seem.

I wonder if their navigation systems don't boot up below 20°C?

I imagined as much.
Was listening to a BBC World Service prog the other day about the dire situation many crews are facing - "Every month, 100,000 seafarers leave their ships and are replaced by others. But due to covid-19, most of these crew changes have been cancelled for several months. Seafarers are in effect prisoners unable to leave the ship."
Most of us recognise the extreme circumstances many key workers have faced recently - they're our family, friends or neighbours. But those at sea are, according to the programme, not classified as key workers and therefore don't attract the adjustments made for their land-based counterparts. Sadly, out of sight, out of mind it would seem.

I wonder if their navigation systems don't boot up below 20°C?
It's a genuinely terrible situation, especially since most of the "crew" as opposed to officers are from poorer parts of the world and have family depending on the money they can send. Whatever about being unable to go home, not being able to get ashore to transfer money is incredibly difficult.

As for navigation, despite all the high tech gizmos & gadgets at night the bridge is in total darkness, no lights allowed - at all - except for the glow of charts and buttons (and they're shielded) so that human eyes can still scan the sea looking for ships, boats, people or obstacles.
Technology is useful....but they don't depend on it.

Sorry. That's about as off course as my Garmin used to bring me ^_^

Top Bottom