Garmin Etrex - Sensitivity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
IIRC the Garmin Edge series has a sensitivity setting sort of "if my speed <2mph count me as stationary", does anyone know if the Etrex has this buried in its settings somewhere?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are zillions of models of Etrex so this info may be out of date or just plain wrong.

The Etrex 20 will give you both true speed (total distance/elapsed time) and "moving" average speed. There's no way to adjust the sensitivity as to what "moving" means.

"Moving average" is a concept for cyclists with fragile egos who want to see a reassuringly high number for speed and you'll tend to find special features relating to it that in cycling specific devices

The "Outdoor" devices like the Oregon and Etrex will give both true and moving average speeds. I think earlier Etrexes only gave true speed, but I'm not sure of that.

On the other hand, from reading documentation, it seems that the Edge Touring will only give you a "moving average" and won't give you a true average speed. Which is why I decided not to buy one, because I like to see both. One to flatter my ego, and one because it's actually useful.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
There are zillions of models of Etrex so this info may be out of date or just plain wrong.

The Etrex 20 will give you both true speed (total distance/elapsed time) and "moving" average speed. There's no way to adjust the sensitivity as to what "moving" means.

"Moving average" is a concept for cyclists with fragile egos who want to see a reassuringly high number for speed and you'll tend to find special features relating to it that in cycling specific devices

The "Outdoor" devices like the Oregon and Etrex will give both true and moving average speeds. I think earlier Etrexes only gave true speed, but I'm not sure of that.

On the other hand, from reading documentation, it seems that the Edge Touring will only give you a "moving average" and won't give you a true average speed. Which is why I decided not to buy one, because I like to see both. One to flatter my ego, and one because it's actually useful.
I'm not that precious about it but I want to cut out traffic light stops to give me a better view of average speed. However the Etrex often registers very small periods of 0.2mph and these really drag the average speed down particularly over a short distance like a 12 mile commute.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually.... it does

59:16
Time
56:40
Moving Time
1:02:43
Elapsed Time
14.2 mph
Avg Speed
14.9 mph
Avg Moving Speed
Ooops. Thanks, I missed that. I may yet buy one. Need to go back to reading the manual again.

Sorry @martint235 for derailing your thread.

Back on topic. Neither the Etrex 20, nor the other "Outdoor" GPS that I've owned have had a way of adjusting sensitivity of the moving speed.

That's all I needed to say. I've just re-read my post above and it is a load of pompous opinionated cobblers. What can I say? I'm pompous and opinionated.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The Etrex isn't designed for 'training'. It does give you stopped time. If you upload a file, Strava will make an attempt at a moving average, but it all seems a bit random.
Personally, I'd say your overall average is the only meaningful figure.

I use a GPS 64 - stopped time is pretty good - so Moving time average is pretty good - however if for some obscure reason the GPS signal is poor - and it has only happened about twice for me it does go off and play with the fairies - in a urban environment i suspect that might happen more often

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I switched off that feature on my Edge 500 because it did my head in in slow-moving traffic, constantly telling me that I was stopping and starting.

I agree with Ian H - you do a certain distance in a certain time, which implies an overall speed. Cutting out all the micro-rests doesn't give you a true picture.

I use mine mainly on tour - very useful to know how much stopped time and overall average versus moving time and moving average

Forget the manual. As with all Garmin manual's, it sucks. Go to DC Rainmaker's site instead for a run down.
Interested I went there. Could see no mention of the humble Garmin Etrex 20/x and 30/x. Aren't they good enough for him? Lots of cyclists use them.

Top Bottom