Garmin etrex vista HCx handlebar mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Anybody here know in detail about the mounts for the etrexes? I'm trying to get a mount but there are conflicting reports about what will/won't fit.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Garmin make one, but it is said not to be very robust - and vibration supposedly causes batteries to lose contact so unit switches off. I've no experience of that one.

I use the RAM mount modified as in this thread on YACF.

The mounts themselves are no longer available from the link mentioned in that thread - but can be found here.

My OH didnt have space on her stem for that mod. so uses the same cradle on of these attached to the bars.

amaferanga

Veteran
I have one of the Garmin mounts. The vibration issue is trivially sorted by putting a little bit of tape inside the mount so that the bracket fit is snug. I've been using mine for about 18 months and have had no problems at all. The RAM mount is a bit of a monstrosity IMO.

This is the one you want. Your vista should have come with a little clip that fixes to the battery cover - this slots into the mount.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The RAM one is certainly "chunkier"....but it does have one advantage:
Both the bodge and the dedicated clip-on can be fitted to the stem as alternative to the bars.
As my bars are crowded enough as it is, and I use a long stem which is otherwise unoccupied, that does it for me.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I used the Garmin one as linked to by amaferanga.
I had no trouble with it switching off, but the screw that holds the clamp to the unit vibrated loose which resulted in the Etrex flying off at 30mph :laugh:

PpPete

Legendary Member
This thread reminded me that I was planning to buy some more RAM cradles so each of my bikes could take the GPS in case of need.

(These ones as linked to above.)

Can't remember exactly what time I hit the order button but:
Order confirmation e-mail received 10:29 am yesterday
Order despatched e-mail received 10:33 am yesterday
.... and there's me thinking "yeah right"

Well they arrived 1st class Recorded Delivery this morning.
Thumbs up for "BuyBits" - even if they do have a stupid name!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
marinyork I've got a Garmin bar mount (& extrex back), for standard bars, still sealed, in my bits box at home. Bought it by mistake. Yours for the cost of postage.

I should add that I use a garmin bar mount and vista etrex HCx and have yet to encounter any of the problems described here and elsewhere (that will have torn it, bet it packs up on me tomorrow!!)

AlanW

Guru
porkypete said:
I use the RAM mount modified as in this thread on YACF.

And I also use the same mount, but modified yet again and in the same thread as above........:laugh:

Top Bottom