Garmin Express Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I have a quick Garmin temperature reading query - Santa brought me a Garmin 'Tourer'. In the 'set up' bit, it lets you choose F or C and I've set it to my preferred F but can't work out how to then find the temperature reading on the gadget. The manual doesnt help. I wondered if I'm missing something? (apart from a decent brain).
I cant speak for the Touring but on the Edge you have to select to view it on the training pages. I can't remember off the top of my head the sequence to follow though.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I like the new Connect layout, very user friendly.

I don't want to thread hijack but wondering if anyone could help with this issue I'm having. When I'm out the temperature shows what I believe to be correct, it at least shows fluctuation. When I then upload the data to Connect the temperature graph shows long periods with nothing registering. Issue with the device or the uploaded data? Anyone else seen this?

Koga

I have a quick Garmin temperature reading query - Santa brought me a Garmin 'Tourer'. In the 'set up' bit, it lets you choose F or C and I've set it to my preferred F but can't work out how to then find the temperature reading on the gadget. The manual doesnt help. I wondered if I'm missing something? (apart from a decent brain).

On a Garmin Touring you will have four main pages: Map, Compass, Elevation (only shows when you are moving) and Timer.

On any of these pages you can change information displayed. To get a temperature reading you will need to change one of these to items to temperature.

To change: System / Trip Pages / Choose Map, Compass, Elevation or Timer / Choose Data Fields and click on the entry field you want to change. Then you will be given the option to select the new entry including temperature.

Perhaps handy to know, if you choose Timer you first have to select the amount of entries you want. You can use this if you want to add additional fields you have so far not seen on your Touring screen !

I hope this will help you.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I hate the new Garmin Express crap - you can still switch back to the old system - it's an option on the LH tabs

I wouldn't say it's crap, but I did prefer the old format and sometimes switch back to it to upload, because the new version seems to hang up quite often.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
On a Garmin Touring you will have four main pages: Map, Compass, Elevation (only shows when you are moving) and Timer.

On any of these pages you can change information displayed. To get a temperature reading you will need to change one of these to items to temperature.

To change: System / Trip Pages / Choose Map, Compass, Elevation or Timer / Choose Data Fields and click on the entry field you want to change. Then you will be given the option to select the new entry including temperature.

Perhaps handy to know, if you choose Timer you first have to select the amount of entries you want. You can use this if you want to add additional fields you have so far not seen on your Touring screen !

I hope this will help you.

That's excellent Koga- many thanks. I'll have a proper look when I get home from w*rk. Cheers!

e-rider

crappy member
I have a Garmin Touring question for those experts out there:
My touring used to work perfectly, on approaching a junction it would flash up the direction arrow, give a countdown in meters until arrival at junction, and then afterwards auto switch back to either the map screen or the data fields screen depending on which was selected - all great. Now however, it flashes up the arrow and then freezes and requires a tap on screen to get back to the original page, sometimes I'm constantly tapping the screen to keep the thing going; also the meters countdown never works now either. This is really annoying because even if I just use the data fields, if a map is loaded is always displays the arrows and then never goes back to the data fields. Anyone know why this is and more importantly how to fix it?
Cheers

Glow worm

Legendary Member

Just had a go and it worked - many thanks. I'd have been faffing about for ages trying to figure it out- many thanks.

e-rider

crappy member
Just had a go and it worked - many thanks. I'd have been faffing about for ages trying to figure it out- many thanks.
temp is only on the Touring+ model right?

Koga

I have a Garmin Touring question for those experts out there:
My touring used to work perfectly, on approaching a junction it would flash up the direction arrow, give a countdown in meters until arrival at junction, and then afterwards auto switch back to either the map screen or the data fields screen depending on which was selected - all great. Now however, it flashes up the arrow and then freezes and requires a tap on screen to get back to the original page, sometimes I'm constantly tapping the screen to keep the thing going; also the meters countdown never works now either. This is really annoying because even if I just use the data fields, if a map is loaded is always displays the arrows and then never goes back to the data fields. Anyone know why this is and more importantly how to fix it?
Cheers
I have only had the touring (+) for a few days and have already had to carry out 3 factory resets for various unidentified software reasons (not able to active Lock on Road for instance). My advice is to carry out a factory reset, just note you probably (you never know with Garmin software) loose all the data and settings in the unit, although on my last factory reset the programmed routes (course) were not deleted !
Good luck.

e-rider

crappy member
d
I have only had the touring (+) for a few days and have already had to carry out 3 factory resets for various unidentified software reasons (not able to active Lock on Road for instance). My advice is to carry out a factory reset, just note you probably (you never know with Garmin software) loose all the data and settings in the unit, although on my last factory reset the programmed routes (course) were not deleted !
Good luck.
doesn't a factory reset just restore all the default settings, or does it do more than that?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Garmin express really sucks....I've had endless problems with it, and these last few days have seen it failing to sync no matter what i try.I've had an e mail from garmin support telling me its a known fault their end (now there's a surprise) and they had me reinstall it all...which i did, but it still doesnt work. Frankly Garmin software is rubbish, it ove rpromises and under deivers time after time in my exerience.In addition the garmin connect app doesnt work with a garmin edge 800..annoying.

Koga

d

doesn't a factory reset just restore all the default settings, or does it do more than that?

You can do a Factory Reset (under System), but the Garmin Manual does not explain the possible consequences. When I did one recently I did retain some info but on two other occasions all data and settings were gone and I had to set it up again (not a big thing to me). On all occasions it did solve the problem.

Or you can Reset the Device which according to the manual should not erase any data or settings. This never worked on my Edge Touring.

Not sure what would happen to yours, but I would work on the basis that all data and settings are gone after a Factory Reset.

Top Bottom