Garmin GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fintious

Hi all, I’m looking for a cheapies second hand garmin type device to use as a sat nav when out riding. I have a garmin Fenix 5 watch that does all the ride stats stuff so it’s really just to keep me on track if I get a bit lost when out adventuring. I’ve been looking at Garmin Edge 705 and 810 which seem to go for a reasonable price and was after pro’s and cons - which is better please.

check out Etrex 20/30 - now replaced by later models - but they have the key benefits of a card slot for maps. And replaceable AA batteries.
Maps are free from various places.

I have a garmin edge and although great I recently found that no way to update it without a laptop. My works laptop will not accept it because it’s a mass storage device and it thinks trying to download proprietary info to it. No option on iPad so that is a bummer for me. To update I have to borrow father in laws laptop.
My Suunto watch though is fine

Last edited:
If you're looking for a used item check ebay for Wahoo Elemnt or Bolt. In my view far superior to the Garmin.
Josh Ibbett uses a Wahoo Element or has done on some Transcontinental, long distance rides. That’s a good enough endorsement. I don’t think I would opt for a Garmin again. Had a watch and not a fan. Now use Suunto and huge fan of them, if only they made cycle GPS???....... I like my edge explore but not enough to buy another if this broke
I asked it to plan a 20 mile round trip MTB route today and it repeatedly said not route available....in the Lake District ??? Really ? Then when it did plan a route it was all on roads :wacko:....so I did my own ride

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The 810 is much newer. The 705 was an early GPS, no touch screen, but rather robust. 810 generally better.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
if you download your own maps the 800 i have is a lot better than the stock basemaps, tbh i prefer it to the 520plus i had as i found it a bit small for navigation but i do need reading glasses !

OP
OP
F

Fintious

My 705 arrived in the post at the weekend and I went for a bit of a night ride last night and tested it out. Bit fiddly to find my way around the device at first but when I got used to it I found it to be a great tool. Stored my start location and it navigated back to there and rerouted quickly when I deliberately took a wrong turn. I get the more modern touch screen ones are a decent upgrade....

si_c

Guru
The 705 is ok. The mapping isn't great and the screen is very poor compared to modern units.

My Dad uses a Edge Explore and it's miles better than my 820 in UI and hardware, but it doesn't have some of the more advanced features I use unfortunately.

I'd highly recommend it though, the wahoo roam looks ok too but not really used it myself.

If you like using the 705 think about an upgrade next year - you won't regret it.

Top Bottom