Garmin Heart Rate monitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Hi,

I have a Garmin 800 and have done so for around 2-3 years now. In that time I have had 2 HRM that have started to give false readings, often around double or more what should be the correct reading.

I have tried replacing the battery in the HRM, but this has not rectified the problem. In each case, it seems to be after around 12 months or so of use.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong if anything?

Do I just need to keep buying new HRM each time or do I need to buy a new heart?

Loads of threads on it if you search the forum but basically the 1st version (part hard strap) is reliable if tight and contact moistened but is subject to jersey flap (false readings) if not. V2 is more comfortable but very subject to jersey flap. V3 tries to draw the best of the two (the reliability of V1 and comfort of V2).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Rather than buy a new one, call Garmin and tell them off the fault, likely they will send you a new one in the mail no questions asked.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Loads of threads on it if you search the forum but basically the 1st version (part hard strap) is reliable if tight and contact moistened but is subject to jersey flap (false readings) if not. V2 is more comfortable but very subject to jersey flap. V3 tries to draw the best of the two (the reliability of V1 and comfort of V2).

The false readings come whether wearing a jersey or not.

They readings stop when I fit a new HRM to the strap, suggesting it is not the fit of the strap either.

I'm puzzled that 2 have developed the seeming same problem each after around a year

The false readings come whether wearing a jersey or not.

They readings stop when I fit a new HRM to the strap, suggesting it is not the fit of the strap either.

I'm puzzled that 2 have developed the seeming same problem each after around a year
It just a slang term for it; when your hr strap loses contact with the chest/ heart. Older straps are more likely to affected by this, loosened off over time. Wearing the strap tight and keeping the sensors moist can help.

PhunkyPhil

Regular
My brother and girlfriend had the same issue and replaced the strap with a Polar one from Amazon which costs about £15. You then remove the unit from the original strap and then attach to new strap.

They are much happier now.

Top Bottom