Garmin Max Speed

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Gruff Eddie, 19 Jul 2012.

1. Hi guys

Anyone have any ideas why my max speed on my Garmin when in bike mode is so daft:

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/200662306

The average seems OK.

Cheers peeps!

PS - this is the first time I've used this 305 - newly refurbished, compliments of Garmin

2. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

That's quick, when i use garmin the max speed is normally a bit out when compared to the cat eye, but nothing like your's.

3. Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

Ive seen average speeds of 1230 mph through a tunnel where the GPS dropped out for a while. Could be that?

On strava my max mph is only 3-4 mph over my cat eye

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

4. OP
    OP
    Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie Regular

I wonder if it's just a couple of decimal places out?

5. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Interference from the overhead electricity lines on the railway? Take a look at the underlying data - it's a table of numbers which you should be able to access in a spreadsheet.

Instantaneous max speed from our GPS is always dodgy - all you need is one record that is a few feet away from its actual position.

6. OP
    OP
    Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie Regular

7. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

That's way to systematic to be a gps interruption. My guess is that when reading the .fit file something went wrong. As you said, a Garmin connect blip.

Out of intrest do you have a wheel sensor ro do you just rely on the GPS location?

8. OP
    OP
    Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie Regular

I just rely on the GPS location. I'm very new to the cycling lark, being an injured runner, so just using what I have for as much as possible.

9. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

Opps I was thinking about the Edge 305 not the Forerunner 305. I wonder if things got a little funky because GC wasn't expecting that kind of speed?

I will say my Edge 500 & 800 both register interesting max speeds when not using a wheel speed sensor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice