Garmin (or other) - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm thinking of the unthinkable. Getting one of those little machines that tells you where to go.

I want
- a map-based device in to which I can load routes - worldwide
- a device that tells me how many miles I've cycled each day

Do I have to purchase the maps separately? Will any of these devices accept google maps routes?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Some units come with maps included, but check first.

You can buy the maps separately, but you can also use the openstreetmap project which will let you download them for free, and the quality is fine in my experience.
Downside is you can only have one on the unit at a time, so if you want the world, make sure you download the correct one.

For route planning, anything that can export as a gpx or tcx will let you transfer it onto the device. I like bikeroutetoaster, as you can choose cycle mode to highlight cycle routes.

Jmenorton

Just ordered myself one of these, for touring hopefully.I got the performance model without maps, planning to use the free osm maps.
Slightly off topic, ive noticed bikeroutetoaster occasionally routes down brown tracks, are these generally ride able, on a cx/road bike?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Just ordered myself one of these, for touring hopefully.I got the performance model without maps, planning to use the free osm maps.
Slightly off topic, ive noticed bikeroutetoaster occasionally routes down brown tracks, are these generally ride able, on a cx/road bike?

In my experience, the brown tracks can be very variable - some will be OK, others will be barely passable.
You could try zooming in on satellite view.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The Garmin Vista series do what you want - but maps are extra and routing is a bit hit-or-miss on occasion. They've apparently been replaced by something new.

I've found that the best way to route is to have the Garmin software on the computer and remap something downloaded from online. On at least one recent occasion a map produced from a back pocket was needed to confirm a route downloaded from online, to avoid a headlong dash down a busy A9... Having said that, the rough track we'd just emerged from was not on Garmin's mapping, so using that would have given rise to exactly the same problems.

PpPete

Legendary Member
There is huge body of knowledge over on YACF about the Legend HCx & Vista HCx and using the free OSM maps with them.
Over time I've learned a pretty foolproof way of navigating audaxes from there. But I never let the Garmin do the routing for me....so the preparation phase is a little long winded.

Them as knows more than me suggest that the newer Etrex 20 & 30 models are perhaps easier to get used to for a noob - but the elimination of some of the quirkyness in the older models brings certain downsides too.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
If you want a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx + 2GB SD micro card for £105 + P&P, please PM me - and I'll throw in a RAM stem mount as well.

It's a couple of years old, excellent condition (still with original screen protector), boxed, instructions etc etc and has some OS maps on a 2GB SD micro card.

I'm planning on selling it anyway - just haven't got round to putting it in the For Sale section :rolleyes:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Make me an offer I can't refuse ... ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ah, my apologies :blush: - you are being sad :cry: that dellzeqq is going over to the gps side ?

... or maybe I'd better stop digging ... :shy:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Do you really believe he'll let an ugly lump of plastic near those handlebars? My money's on the piece of paper in the back pocket for a while yet.

Top Bottom