Garmin Oregon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Hi all,

I bought a garmin explore earlier in the year, I liked the features but wanted something with a larger screen so took it back. I still haven't found something that really fits what I'm after.
I have a garmin 800 and a garmin active watch, so I have suitable equipment but want to consider the next step up.
I like hiking, walking and geocaching so I'm contemplating a garmin Oregon.
It seems to have some great features but how good is it as a bike computer? Does it show speed etc?

Also

Does it have the find my way home feature?
Does it give sat nav style turn by turn advice like the explore or is it like the 800 which I don't find useful.
Not been able to find the screen size
Seems it advertised for £220 for the 700

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
https://www.gpstraining.co.uk/reviews/oregon-700-and-750---review
TBH if you want something bigger with bike capabilities maybe look at an edge 1000 looks like you have to pair the Oregon with smartphone for gps and doesn't have turn by turn navigation

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Just checked out the 1000, cycle surgery have a deal ATM

Does it also give turn by turn instructions just like the explore?

Will it log walks? Or do you have to record it as a ride and convert afterwards?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just checked out the 1000, cycle surgery have a deal ATM

Does it also give turn by turn instructions just like the explore?

Will it log walks? Or do you have to record it as a ride and convert afterwards?
i would say yes i have a 800 and a 520 plus both give turn by turn and the 520 can route me home directly rather than follow a course, you can log a walk if you want its data , its what the website lists it as in options eg i follow a runner on strava .
NB did you want off road mapping or roads/ trails ?
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-1000-depth-review.html

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i would say yes i have a 800 and a 520 plus both give turn by turn and the 520 can route me home directly rather than follow a course, you can log a walk if you want its data , its what the website lists it as in options eg i follow a runner on strava .
NB did you want off road mapping or roads/ trails ?
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-1000-depth-review.html
Yeh I think I would need good mapping
My 800 is poor as a sat nav, the explore was brilliant at that, is the 1000 more 800 than explore ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've used an Oregon as my main GPS for walking and cycling for about 5 or 6 years or so. Prior to that I used a 60CSX. I've dabbled with an Edge Touring, but I prefer the Oregon.

I love it.

I have a 750. I originally had a 650 but I damaged it, and got a cheap upgrade from Garmin.

It will show a whole host of data fields. I'd encourage you to download a manual and have a look. Here are a few off the top of my head: Current speed, current gradient, trip time, stopped time, trip moving-average speed, trip total average speed, time of sunset, total ascent, figures from ANT+ connected devices like cadence meters, ETA at & dist to destination, and next routing point, battery level etc etc etc.

It has bluetooth phone connection so it will auto upload your rides to Garmin Connect when you are done. It will also show phone notifications on screen like incoming calls, texts etc. There is a live tracking feature but I've never really tried that. I use "Glympse" on my phone if I want that.

It's AA powered. For me this is a big plus. For others it's not. THing is I always have a big box full of rechargeable AAs ready to go, and my lights are AA powered too.

Regarding routing/navigation
I only use it for follow the line routing, so I'm not so sure about navigation features.
Also the more modern models may be better than mine so I'd encourage you to look at the manual. Here's what mine does. This may be limited by my particular model, and also by what I actually have tried.
If you navigate a GPX track then it won't give you turn by turn. If you navigate a GPX route it does give you turn by turn.
I don't know if it has find my way home. Personally I would never trust any GPS device to make up a route for me on the bike so I've never looked for that feature.

I use OS maps on mine. Some people prefer OSM. I'm definitely not one of them. I wouldn't be without OS Maps.

The 750 has a camera. I've never used it. It may be brilliant, who knows?

It doesn't fit the "Edge" style quarter turn handlebar mount. It has its own mount. I have had issues with this. Always, but always, loop the lanyard over the bars.

PS manual download is here https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01672-01

Last edited:
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I've used an Oregon as my main GPS for walking and cycling for about 5 or 6 years or so. Prior to that I used a 60CSX. I've dabbled with an Edge Touring, but I prefer the Oregon.

I love it.

I have a 750. I originally had a 650 but I damaged it, and got a cheap upgrade from Garmin.

It will show a whole host of data fields. I'd encourage you to download a manual and have a look. Here are a few off the top of my head: Current speed, current gradient, trip time, stopped time, trip moving-average speed, trip total average speed, time of sunset, total ascent, figures from ANT+ connected devices like cadence meters, ETA at & dist to destination, and next routing point, battery level etc etc etc.

It has bluetooth phone connection so it will auto upload your rides to Garmin Connect when you are done. It will also show phone notifications on screen like incoming calls, texts etc. There is a live tracking feature but I've never really tried that. I use "Glympse" on my phone if I want that.

It's AA powered. For me this is a big plus. For others it's not. THing is I always have a big box full of rechargeable AAs ready to go, and my lights are AA powered too.

Regarding routing/navigation
I only use it for follow the line routing, so I'm not so sure about navigation features.
Also the more modern models may be better than mine so I'd encourage you to look at the manual. Here's what mine does. This may be limited by my particular model, and also by what I actually have tried.
If you navigate a GPX track then it won't give you turn by turn. If you navigate a GPX route it does give you turn by turn.
I don't know if it has find my way home. Personally I would never trust any GPS device to make up a route for me on the bike so I've never looked for that feature.

I use OS maps on mine. Some people prefer OSM. I'm definitely not one of them. I wouldn't be without OS Maps.

The 750 has a camera. I've never used it. It may be brilliant, who knows?

It doesn't fit the "Edge" style quarter turn handlebar mount. It has its own mount. I have had issues with this. Always, but always, loop the lanyard over the bars.

PS manual download is here https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01672-01
Brilliant thanks, it sounds ideal as long as I can getbturn by turn feature. Maybe I was spoilt with the explore for this feature?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
The manual is good, it hasn't track back

Can you locate using a post code?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The manual is good, it hasn't track back

Can you locate using a post code?
I don't know ... I don't think so. The thing is that I don't use the sat nav style features at all so I'm not very familiar with them.

I would repeat that in my experience you only get turn by turn with routes, not tracks. So if you load up a track all you get is a line on the map and you follow that. That's how I like to use it so all is good. I have fiddled around with routes a bit and used turn by turn but I never really took to it. Tbh I think gpx routes are a bit old fashioned and have been superseded a bit by tcx files for routing.

I'd sum up that if you want an AA powered device, good for walking and cycling, with a vast array of data fields and good connectivity it's great.

If you want advanced navigation features like off track warnings, dynamic routing to get you back on track, turn by turn navigation on the basis of tracks and tcx files and on the fly dynamic routing then it's not so hot.

But IMO for cycling all dynamic routing is pants cos we all have different preferences for shared use paths, busy roads, roundabouts etc

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Thanks for the comprehensive reply

Yes I think my problem is I want a gps suitable for walking and cycling but also want turn by turn guidance.

I don't always sort out routes on the computer , that's why I liked the explore, works like a car sat nav

AlanW

Guru
I have a Oregon and used to when I did LEJoG in eight days back to 2010, pretty faultless to be honest although no turn by turn notifications. But to be honest that wasn't an issue, I just wanted a device that I could replace batteries on the fly without the need to carry a battery pack.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I have a Oregon and used to when I did LEJoG in eight days back to 2010, pretty faultless to be honest although no turn by turn notifications. But to be honest that wasn't an issue, I just wanted a device that I could replace batteries on the fly without the need to carry a battery pack.
Yes I really like the Oregon, I guess if I could merge the explore and Oregon I'd have the perfect solution for me

AlanW

Guru
Just to add, one thing I hated about the Orgeon was the touch screen, unless you used a stylus type implement it was a nightmare. Wet gloves.......ha, think again!!

Also no stop start function I seem to recall either? Therefore when you switch it on and you have moved locations from the last time it was on, it subsequently draws a straight line once its found the GPS satellites. In comparison to other GPS devices on the market these days, its a big old lump nailed on top of your bars too!

I only use it these days for Geocaching and hiking, I have a Edge Touring Plus for audaxing/touring which for the money is pretty much bang on.

Although that said, Ive also just purchased a Edge 1030, only for the simple reason I can see the larger screen better then on the Touring Plus

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just to add, one thing I hated about the Orgeon was the touch screen, unless you used a stylus type implement it was a nightmare. Wet gloves.......ha, think again!!

Also no stop start function I seem to recall either? Therefore when you switch it on and you have moved locations from the last time it was on, it subsequently draws a straight line once its found the GPS satellites. In comparison to other GPS devices on the market these days, its a big old lump nailed on top of your bars too!

I only use it these days for Geocaching and hiking, I have a Edge Touring Plus for audaxing/touring which for the money is pretty much bang on.

Although that said, Ive also just purchased a Edge 1030, only for the simple reason I can see the larger screen better then on the Touring Plus
Oh yeah. The touch screen. I forgot about that. :laugh:

If it's raining it gets constantly touched by pixie fingers and goes bonkers. If you lock it it then goes into a loop: Raindrop - Beep! Screen is locked message .. (press ok) Raindrop ... Beep! Screen is locked message ... (press ok) Raindrop ... Beep! ... and so on.

To avoid this I switch the screen off in heavy rain only switch it on when I need to look at it (requires programming the physical key functions). Or else put a sandwich bag over it.

(I'm not selling it am I? Why is it that I like it so much? :wacko:)

I'm pretty good at operating it in gloves, but it is a knack.

It being a big lump doesn't bother me. It's miniscule compared with the big lump on the saddle.

It does have a stop/start function - I used to get the big line drawn from last location on my 60CSX but I don't get that with the Oregon. I always just reset the current activity when I start. I also calibrate the altimeter. That's just a habit, I think auto-calibrate works OK.

It has auto pause (when it detects you're stopped) and auto start (when it detects you're moving). I always have these off and on respectively.

I suppose the reasons I like it so much are:

1) It has OS maps which are better than OSM, so nyeh.
2) Lots more flexibility in data fields than the Edge models (or at least than the Edge Touring which is the only one I'm familiar with)
3) AA batteries
4) ANT+ and Bluetooth.
5) I already own one, so I'm stuck with it.;)
6) Did I mention OS maps?

I have an Edge Touring but I never use it these days. The intention was to replace the Oregon but it just didn't cut it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom