Garmin problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Anyone else having problems ?
Ive just finished an 18 mile ride and tried to upload my garmin to strava . I got this message .

If upon uploading a Garmin activity file to Strava you see the error message "bad time data" we've found some problems with the time data in your file and it can't be uploaded to Strava as is.
The issue is that at some point in the file, the time data (specifically the day/month/year, not the hours/minutes) jumps into the future. It can be just a day or two, or 20-30 years. This is something we're seeing occasionally, mostly from Garmin Edge 500's and it's causing a variety of problems once the activities are uploaded to Strava.
Please contact Garmin support and request they address the underlying issue to prevent this from happening in the future.
If you'd like Strava to manually fix the file, please first upload the file to Garmin Connect, export the TCX file and attach it to a support ticket. Unfortunately we can't modify the FIT files that come directly from the device.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

So I go to Garmin connect and they are also having problems so I cant upload the file .
Normally I just upload the files and not bother looking at them . Now I actually want to look at the data to compare it doesn't flipping work :angry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Garmin were having system errors on Friday, alhough I was OK (was mentioned on their website).

You can manually alter the data file if there is a real corruption - if you google 'fixing garmin data files' then there are tutorials.

The files are editable in the like of notepad, but it's a big set of data. You usually have to look to see where it went wrong, bit of a nightmare if it was a long ride. I've fixed a data file once, which meant I lost about 20 minutes of ride data, and the trace just drew a straight line until the fixed data. Made very little difference to the overall mileage/time, but looked odd on the map overlay

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I don't think its worth the hassle of trying to fix it . I just wanted to compare a ride around Richmond park on the new bike to other rides . Its probably easier to do the ride again !
Just annoying as its not a cheap bit of kit and only has one job to do .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That wont show the segments though will it ? It was some of those I wanted to look at .

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Wait until Garmin is working (as per the other thread on the subject I've had no problems) and try uploading there first?

ps: Why is your GC not connected to Strava?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I didn't see another thread about it . I didn't want GC connected to strava . No reason , it just asked me and I clicked no .

BrynCP

Über Member
I had that just once with an Edge 500, but Strava must not have had that check in back then. The day it happened, I lost GPS signal too, so likely related.

It had the ride finish 10 years after it started (Elapsed Time 85849:30:02) and it did show odd for many months, as it was always my "latest activity" which was annoying.

Some guys on the Garmin forums offered to fix it, but sounds like Strava will do the same thing for you.

Top Bottom