Garmin Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have the Garmin Edge 130 and planning to do a century ride in May uploading to strava.I'm planning a maximum of about eight hours to complete because i'm old and slow..ish:smile:
I won't be using any sensors but will be following a downloaded route and i'm just wondering will a fully charged battery last the ride?

si_c

Guru
I think it *should* be fine, turn the backlight off, you won't need it in daylight anyway.

I usually take a small battery pack with me regardless, to ensure I can top my phone up if nothing else. Have a break for half an hour or so around half way and top it up then if needed.

Edit to add: you can also of course charge it mid-ride if needed.

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
I don't know if this is possible and it might be a stupid question. but could you have the Garmin and the iphone recording on strava simultaneously? In other words press start on both devices just in case one runs out of charge.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I don't know if this is possible and it might be a stupid question. but could you have the Garmin and the iphone recording on strava simultaneously? In other words press start on both devices just in case one runs out of charge.
When I first used my 130 I did exactly that in case the Garmin didn't record (which it didn't sometimes, user error) and Strava recorded as expected. Be aware that if you auto upload at the end of the ride you end up with two rides in Strava, same with RWGPS.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have the Garmin Edge 130 and planning to do a century ride in May uploading to strava.I'm planning a maximum of about eight hours to complete because i'm old and slow..ish:smile:
I won't be using any sensors but will be following a downloaded route and i'm just wondering will a fully charged battery last the ride?
Depends on the condition of the battery.

I ride regular centuries and I'm 1 or 2 hours slower than you because I actually am slow and old-ish, and my Edge 530 handles that with ease.

Charge your Garmin fully, stick it outside, press start and see how long it lasts. If you're still concerned, take a charge pack with you.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That way you could drain the batteries of both devices. Win win ^_^

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I have a reconditioned Garmin 130.

Last year it would handle 8-10 hours and be down to one or zero bars at the end of the day, no sensors connected but do generally use a preloaded gpx route.
The last few rides I've done I've noticed its down to one bar after only about 3 or 4 hours, maybe the battery in a reconditioned unit or the cold weather but currently looking at upgrading it with some longer rides planned this year.
I've started taking a power bank out with me in my top tube bag, it will charge while riding and recording or you could just charge it if you stop for lunch etc so that's maybe an option for you?
The bigger garmins boast 24 hours battery life like @Dogtrousers says and I have found some battery upgrade 'hacks' online if you are tech savvy which I am not ^_^

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
Thanks for all the useful comments.I can always rely on you lot.👍
I plan to buy a power bank for the iPhone.Looked around for one for the garmin and not sure if they even do one for the 130.

si_c

Guru
I plan to buy a power bank for the iPhone.Looked around for one for the garmin and not sure if they even do one for the 130.
Just take both power cables with you, you only need a short one for the Garmin so it doesn't take up much space. Some power banks have 2 USB charge points so you can charge both devices at the same time.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak

Garmin do make a specific power bank that connects under an out front mount I believe however isn't compatible with the 130.
A generic power bank will be fine however as they charge pretty much anything with a USB port and yep one with 2 outlets is definitely handy.

I have this one and it fits nicely in the top tube bag, isn't heavy and will charge my phone and garmin twice if needed

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Don't go for expensive device specific power banks. Get an Anker or similar plus a couple of cables. Something like this

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-Technology-High-Capacity-Compatible-Black/dp/B07S829LBX/ref=asc_df_B07S829LBX/

Also be aware that some (very) old Garmin units cannot chew gum and walk at the same time. That is they can't take charge and record simultaneously. And they throw a wobbly and shut down when you disconnect the charge. I don't know if yours is one of these.

Top Bottom