Garmin Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Was that a Garmin Edge 500 you were using? There was a lot of reported problems with it at the time, mine included. Having the same problem ie crashing with a long route. Other Garmins I have had no such problems with.
I could never get my Edge 500 to navigate reliably whereas the similar but slimmed down Edge 200 works perfectly. I think that the hardware of the 500 was not powerful enough to navigate as well as monitoring power, speed, etc.

Venod

Eh up
I have on more than one occasion forgotten to charge my Garmin, so it runs out of power mid ride, I then use the Strava app on my phone to complete the ride, you can upload them as two rides or join them together with a GPS program on a PC.

ianbarton

Veteran
Was that a Garmin Edge 500 you were using? There was a lot of reported problems with it at the time, mine included. Having the same problem ie crashing with a long route. Other Garmins I have had no such problems with.
Yes, it was. I have still got it, but I transferred to Wahoo.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes, it was. I have still got it, but I transferred to Wahoo.
I guessed as much. It was a great little computer, just a shame it had a couple of naughty bugs.
1 the routing problem
2 that you couldn't charge it mid ride unless you saved your ride first.

ianbarton

Veteran
1 the routing problem
When I first got mine I tested it out by plotting a couple of routes that were local rides. On one stretch of country road which is about 3 miles long with no turn offs the blue line would correctly show me where I should be going but after about two miles it decided that I was off route and had to turn back. I uploaded the same route made by different apps and exactly the same thing happened.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I first got mine I tested it out by plotting a couple of routes that were local rides. On one stretch of country road which is about 3 miles long with no turn offs the blue line would correctly show me where I should be going but after about two miles it decided that I was off route and had to turn back. I uploaded the same route made by different apps and exactly the same thing happened.

I found that any routes under 50 miles or so was fine. Anything over then that and the machine threw a wobbly.
As a ride recording device though, they can't be faulted.

I only upgraded to the 130 and Explore for the wireless integration and not having to attached to a computer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We're wandering off topic a bit. My experience with an Edge Touring was that it took ages and ages to start navigating long routes, but if it did finally decide to navigate them it was OK. However sometimes it just wouldn't start navigating. So I always chopped routes into 50 mile or so chunks and it was generally OK.

I think Garmin dropped the ball during last decade and got lazy with their market dominance and were happy to churn out devices that were a bit buggy and were definitely underpowered for what the software did. Some of those Edge devices were a real step down in "feel" from the handheld Garmins, which I've always found to be really good. Also they've never been the most user-friendly so some people got confused and hated them. That's why a lot of people moved over to Wahoos.

I think they're pulled their socks up and fixed things with the x30 generation though. Interface is still not the friendliest.

ianbarton

Veteran
I think they're pulled their socks up and fixed things with the x30 generation though. Interface is still not the friendliest.
I have got a Garmin eTrex and a Fenix watch. Both are reliable, but I agree about the user interface which is a mess.

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
Sorry but rather than start another thread i have another query on the same subject.
Tried downloading the 100 mile route to the Garmin but it's coming back that i don't have enough space.
Deleted five routes already on the device but it's still saying the file is 1,282KB and i only have 972KB available.
Seeing the total size for the device is 23.7MB where is over 22MB being taken up and what else can i delete?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Which Garmin device are you using?
Where are you planning and downloading your route from.
Are you downloading as a TCX file? If so, try downloading as a FIT. file or a GPX. file.

Last edited:
Top Bottom