Garmin Routes not playing ball

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m6mal

where's me bike
i made some routes for my trike and they save as waypoints.gpx and route.gpx so i made a few routes and each route i added a didit to so my 2nd route is waypoint2.gpx and route2.gpx and all is fine when i put them on my garmin etrex 30x. i can view each route on the map and all is good......
My wife said lets go and try them in the car today, so we did, each route starts and ends near our place. I started route one kettering to loddington to walgrave to pytchley to kettering and it decided to take us a totally different way. i tried a local loop starting and ending at our place and yep same thing, i had it set to bike on the garmin so i changed it to car and no joy i also have the avoids off so i can go anywhere in theory. The only thing different is when i made the routes in garmin basecamp on my pc, i selected bike.... I am a bit dissapointed as i made my routes so i can follow them etc as i know how many miles they are etc.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you want to follow a fixed line you created in Basecamp, then you need to create a track from the route (right click route and click the create as track option). Then navigate the track. Routes are actively navigated by the GPS and the only criteria it will use is to ensure it passes through any fixed points in the route, which will be the places you clicked, not an identical route to that shown in Basecamp.

Last edited:
You need to learn the quirks of Garmin's route selection.
If it's set for fastest route then it may well try to take you around 2 sides of a triangle to keep you on main roads and if it's set for shortest then you may go around 3 sides of a square to keep you off main roads.
Also don't let it recalculate a route, it will mess it all up.

Milzy

Guru
Garmin is a company that needs to go bust. All you hear about is the constant bugs and problems. It’s time people woke up and used Wahoo devices.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
thanks for input guys, i will try making a route and changing to tracks then and try it again

Broadside

Guru
Also make sure that auto recalculate is switched off on the device, this should make sure it follows the planned route and doesn’t try to send you a different way when you get going.

Top Bottom