Garmin screen reflection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycle

Über Member
I have a Garmin 1000 which, by the nature of a recumbent, is mounted so the display is more or less vertical. Under most light conditions the device would probably be more use as a mirror than a satnav device because of reflection. A cateye display can be viewed at any angle so I'm not sure why Garmin can't get this right. It's not a problem specific to this model Garmin either, I've had the same issue on all the Garmin's I have owned. I've tried using a matt screen protector, but this just makes the display opaque.

Anyone experienced the same & found a solution?

could you make a sun shade to go around it , my sat nav came with one to help reflections (black plastic )

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
Hadn't thought of that. I'll see if I can fashion something. Will probably have to dispense with rubber protector on the casing, That'll just get in the way.

plasticard if you can get some , black car body filler applicators from a spray shop are the first thoughts, depron , the white plastic (like meat trays ) or under floor insulation , can be creased and bent to shape , B&Q had matt black emulsion sampler pots which would be a way to reduce reflection.

later's Emma

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As a cheap way to see if it works, buy a small plastic scoop (like you'd use for dry pet food, or rock salt on the path) from somewhere like Wilko or Home Bargains. Cut the handle off and make a hole to mount the Garmin through.

001.JPG

It should be about the right size / shape to act as a sunshade - the rounded shape of the scoop is also naturally aero... :okay:

Top Bottom