Garmin speed/cadence sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

Hi guys

i picked up a used garmin edge 500 on eBay, it came with the GSC10 cadence/speed sensor.

However it appears the speed sensor doesn’t work, it should flash green when passing the spoke magnet which it doesn’t.

My question is, should this matter too much as the garmin will pick up my speed via GPS surely?
The cadence is handy info for me but not sure what the point is in having 2 ways of measuring speed?

Can anyone explain?

Mike_P

Guru
A speed sensor is more accurate; have you checked/ changed the battery (having checked the one going is okay)

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

A speed sensor is more accurate; have you checked/ changed the battery (having checked the one going is okay)
Yeah it’s a brand new energizer battery installed.

seems it’s a common issue with the gsc10 after doing some research.

Mike_P

Guru
Depends on the bike computer on how accurate the GPS readings are - my old Garmin Edge 500 could not track the route correctly times.

sittingbull

Veteran
I've got a GSC10 on which the LEDs don't work either. However they are only for correct alignment during set up and you may find your GSC10 is still relaying speed/cadence data to the Edge 500 head unit. Try checking whether the Edge 500 detects the sensor regardless of the LEDs.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I've got a GSC10 on which the LEDs don't work either. However they are only for correct alignment during set up and you may find your GSC10 is still relaying speed/cadence data to the Edge 500 head unit. Try checking whether the Edge 500 detects the sensor regardless of the LEDs.
I figured out the issue, broken wire on the speed, reed sensor,water has gotten in and rusted it. The Cadence still works though so I’m not too bothered,the gps will do me for speed info.

It'll work fine @fraz101 if it's a poor GPS signal tunnel, trees etc it'll fill in gaps but it's not 100% needed. I ditched mine years ago when it failed. Cadence isn't vital either but it's nice to know so I bought their newer crank based one and it doesn't get any of the false spikes of the old one (200 rpm + when hovering on the pedals, etc)

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

It also came with a hrm which I needed to put a new battery in to pair it up with the edge 500.
Never used one before so not sure how accurate it was on my first outing with it,was reading 100-110bpm the whole 10 miles I used it,however on the return leg of my journey after a break it wouldn’t repair with the edge 500. Half way home it popped up on the screen that it paired and the Bpm this time were only 65-75?
Are these not so accurate?
For info it’s a Garmin hrm and strap

Mike_P

Guru
Cadence read out I find useful on climbs. The worst my 500 did GPS wise was going down a wooded cycle path when it decided I was instead on the B road the other side of a river. As a result my crossing of the river and up the hill the junction with the B road it recorded as over 60 mph:eek:

Top Bottom