Garmin & Strava do not agree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I went for a ride today 22 miles. Garmin 200 says 17.4 average and Strava (on an android phone) 18.2. Both have auto pause on. Which is more accurate?
Strava reads your stop times better ?
I get a faster average MPH on Strava as it 'notices' your stop times..
Look at total time on Strava and actual travelling time..

I write this as I use an Edge 200 and through Garmin Connect it uploads to Strava, I've never used auto pause though..

My average speed on Strava is always lower than on my Garmin (Edge 500) - the longer the ride, the bigger the difference seems to be. I put it down to the auto pause on the Garmin...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I use a Garmin 705 & I noticed that the auto pause takes a coupe of seconds to kick in, on my commute every stop at lights seems to costs me 0.1mph off my average speed :sad: I don't used Strava on my phone so can't compare, but it's not worth losing any sleep over :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mobile phones generally are less accurate as they have lower sampling rates than a dedicated gps unit and then the software has to extrapolate ( guess) the blanks .
When uploading from garmin to strava i generally lose 0.1 mph average as strava uses different ways to calculate elevation change so it affects the results.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I assumed the Garmin would be more accurate.
Its not a question of accuracy but one of maths.

. Regarding Average Speed on your [outdoor, not stationary] Strava activity when recording with a Garmin device: See my initial response. Garmin devices run a calculation during recording to total up your moving time, or the time you are not resting/stationary. This moving time is divided by total distance to get average speed. When your data is uploaded to Strava, a separate calculation is run based on your GPS data to determine moving time. This can be different than what your Garmin reports. If you see differences in Average Speed between Garmin and Strava, first check your stats for moving time and total distance as that should explain the differences.

Top Bottom