Garmin & Strava do not agree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Yesterday I planned a route on Strava, then I followed it exactly. Despite riding into a headwind the whole way, I was surprised by the ease of the ride. When I checked the ride data on Strava it seems the planned route had half the climbing than reality.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I did a 40 mile ride today and Strava told me I did 0 miles :cursing:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Its not a question of accuracy but one of maths.
I wouldn't be surprised if garmin connect actually used it's own stopped time calculation separate from what is set on the garmin device. I don't use the auto pause most of the time so I can't test it. But will when I use it again.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I wouldn't be surprised if garmin connect actually used it's own stopped time calculation separate from what is set on the garmin device. I don't use the auto pause most of the time so I can't test it. But will when I use it again.
Never looked actually. I flick through data before I upload and know by default that on strava it will be a bit slower. I only upload to GC because theres no choice when the Edge1000 wifi configured, but it also means automatic sharing and totally wirefree/pcless uploads

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's no such thing as an "accurate" moving average. There are different algorithms that come up with different results. Just like different algorithms come up with different results for calories burned.

It's just a vague hand-waving indication of general fastness, not a real speed.

The algorithms should be precise though, in that they will give repeatable results and you can compare the results of that algorithm for different rides.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just out of interest
Ride 11/7 18.2avg GC - 18.0 Strava
Ride 12/7 15.7avg GC - 15.7 Strava
Ride 14/7 18.4avg GC - 18.3 Strava
Ride 15/7 15.9avg on both GC+ Strava

I can totally live with this, but should really check the history on the garmin itself but it's downstairs and I'm not moving :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just out of interest
Ride 11/7 18.2avg GC - 18.0 Strava
Ride 12/7 15.7avg GC - 15.7 Strava
Ride 14/7 18.4avg GC - 18.3 Strava
Ride 15/7 15.9avg on both GC+ Strava

I can totally live with this, but should really check the history on the garmin itself but it's downstairs and I'm not moving :smile:
Checked my Garmin history and it shows the same as connect. That was looking at actives that have both auto pause and those that don't.

Top Bottom