Garmin Varia Radar Rear Light Seat Stay Mount?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been on group rides where 6 out of 6 people have one.
I think they're selling tonnes of them, which is why they can afford to rack the price up to £170. I do think they've screwed up with the new camera version though as the camera isn't good enough to justify £300.

Knowing Garmin, they won't bother.
I saw that come out and thought "Oooh, I haven't splashed out on an expensive toy for quite a while now"

Then I watched the DC Rainmaker video about it, and the repeated use of the words "dumpster fire" and I thought ... err ... maybe not.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I saw that come out and thought "Oooh, I haven't splashed out on an expensive toy for quite a while now"

Then I watched the DC Rainmaker video about it, and the repeated use of the words "dumpster fire" and I thought ... err ... maybe not.

At that price it needs to be a good camera. It doesn't even have image stabilisation. Ok to grab a number plate, but £20 AliExpress cameras can do that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
At that price it needs to be a good camera. It doesn't even have image stabilisation. Ok to grab a number plate, but £20 AliExpress cameras can do that.

DCR's view was: Crap camera - no stabilisation, even crapper software - almost unusable, eg trying to find a particular clip from a ride.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
On my group rides almost everyone has one. It started off with one person who loves a good gadget, we worked out that because it is ANT+ we could all connect to it and get alerts, a couple of weeks later someone else got one and then within month it is pretty much everyone.

Thinks, maybe I should attach a lanyard to mine ... just in case.

GpLama advises using a thin cable tidy Velcro strap that holds the Garmin Mount on to the bike in case the rubber bands snap. Must admit I've had Bands like these on my lights and computer mount for years with no issues - but most of us have a cable tidy knocking around already.

On my group rides almost everyone has one. It started off with one person who loves a good gadget, we worked out that because it is ANT+ we could all connect to it and get alerts, a couple of weeks later someone else got one and then within month it is pretty much everyone.

I've just bought the radar sensor. Let's see how the boys take to it after tomorrow's ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And a picture from above showing the big ugly bolts that I may cut off sometime if I get around to it.
1660639335363.png

I've just bought the radar sensor. Let's see how the boys take to it after tomorrow's ride.

For some reason my Garmin hadn't connected to the radar for the first 1/3 of the ride. Annoying but I should have recognized the logo wasn't the same as when I tested it.

Once they were playing nicely the radar was very impressive but more riding needed. One pal connected his Garmin to the radar ok and the other couldn't work out how to do it so let's try again next week.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For some reason my Garmin hadn't connected to the radar for the first 1/3 of the ride. Annoying but I should have recognized the logo wasn't the same as when I tested it.

Once they were playing nicely the radar was very impressive but more riding needed. One pal connected his Garmin to the radar ok and the other couldn't work out how to do it so let's try again next week.

I find that mine connects automatically 99% of the time. But sometimes, when I take the radar off (say at a cafe stop when I switch the radar off and put it on to charge from a power pack for a bit, but leave the Garmin 530 switched on) it doesn't reconnect automatically when I switch it back on. When this happens I go into sensors on the menu and reconnect it manually before setting off.

si_c

Guru
I find that mine connects automatically 99% of the time. But sometimes, when I take the radar off (say at a cafe stop when I switch the radar off and put it on to charge from a power pack for a bit, but leave the Garmin 530 switched on) it doesn't reconnect automatically when I switch it back on. When this happens I go into sensors on the menu and reconnect it manually before setting off.

Not had an issue myself, I have it connected to both my computers and it works perfectly each time with both. I've not had to charge the radar mid ride though yet, battery life seems to be excellent, it should last up to 16 hours in day flash mode which is what I use it in. I have separate lights for use at night, so I prefer to use the mode which ekes out the most battery.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not had an issue myself, I have it connected to both my computers and it works perfectly each time with both. I've not had to charge the radar mid ride though yet, battery life seems to be excellent, it should last up to 16 hours in day flash mode which is what I use it in. I have separate lights for use at night, so I prefer to use the mode which ekes out the most battery.
Mine doesn't. It lasts about 9-11 hours-ish.
I think it would be great if you could use the radar with no light at all, but you can't.

As per title. Has anyone managed to mount a Garmin Varia to a seat stay?

Please don’t bother mentioning saddle or seat post mounting options as the large Apidura saddle pack I carry negates these.

Thanks.

Here are my efforts for a seat stay mount.

Background. Mainly ride are horizontal TT steel bikes with saddle rack packs or carradice, with no rack. As such the only place the smaller radar-only varia unit will go is attached to the seat stay. Longer RTL515 too tight a fit.

For the last five months I've been using:

Varia narrow wedge (seatpost) adaptor with rolled plastic insert (found in spares box) to maintain angle. Works very well. Uses smaller varia attachment band.

PXL_20220830_080035115.jpg

PXL_20220830_080125591.jpg

This mount may not hold the larger/longer RTL515 varia light unit far enough away from the seat stay, as it's less compact than radar only unit.

The other mount I made (not used much yet) was with the back casing of an old PlanetX Phaart light (I bought about x4 when they were once ~£3 ea). The insert is a half section of wooden handle (could use anything rounded) with tape over. The band used is the large one. Note. the Phaart lights also fit the Smart mounts - with a 'click in place' needed.

PXL_20220830_074904958.jpg

PXL_20220830_074929107.jpg

PXL_20220830_074949013.jpg

PXL_20220830_075352771.jpg

On my bike the varia RTL515 would mostly be too long, to fit on the seat stay (above tyre level & brakes, & below the pack) as it longer than my radar only RVR315.

I generally use 1W Smart Lunar lights. I find the radar function very useful. No doubt the varia modulating light is pretty good, though I guess the drivers that ignore my rather intense SMART rear lights are likely to ignore any light. YMMV.

ETA.

Note: I have also tried the quarter turn mount supplied with the Garmin Edges, instead of the Varia supplied 'seatpost' wedge - which gives a less elongated, slightly tighter attachement. Long bands used here.

PXL_20220830_085644926.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom