What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
About month ago I went to the balefill to drop off branches in exchange for a voucher which will get me $5 off off wood chips in the spring. They grind up branches, leaves etc and make wood chips, compost and mulch so all that gets recycled instead of buried in the balefill. Folks also drop off bikes they don't want and that's where I picked up a Tange chromo Bianchi Nyala frame, which per the Suntour Mount tech derailleur was a 93. Nothing else on the frame but a corroded BB, heavy cranks with triple steel chainrings and some Deore cantis which were missing parts. And the frame and fork weighed at least 9 lbs.
But, bored as hell, I poked through my stuff, found a good UN55 cartridge BB, an ok saddle, a couple of wheels, cheapo brake levers, crap pedals and my summer semislick 2" city tires. I bought a Tange head set, a seatpost, new cables and cable housing and a pair of v-brakes. The seat post was too big, although the LBS guy and I found specs that said it was 26.6 and that is what we ordered . Also on hand was an ok 40 tooth chainring, a semi cherry Sugino rd2 crank set, a cobbled together KMC chain, a flat bar and Ergon grips with small bar ends.
Sanded down the seat post a bit, greased the jockey wheels on the derailleur, and repacked the wheels, changing the parts on the rear hub to center it in the chain stays. Put everything together and it works pretty well. In the summer the sun heats up my minivan to 60C and that will cure a rattlecan paint job fairly quickly. I will strip the frame and fork, treat the rusty spots and paint it when it is warm enough outside.
I think it is about 27 lbs as is. The saddle and the single aluminum chainring stripped some weight.

Between the long wheelbase and the 2 " tires it has a pretty plush ride. I do love level top tube chromo bikes and this one with studded snows will be good enough in the winter months. Light years away from the elegant jobs I've you guys turn out but still fun to work on.​

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
About month ago I went to the balefill to drop off branches in exchange for a voucher which will get me $5 off off wood chips in the spring. They grind up branches, leaves etc and make wood chips, compost and mulch so all that gets recycled instead of buried in the balefill. Folks also drop off bikes they don't want and that's where I picked up a Tange chromo Bianchi Nyala frame, which per the Suntour Mount tech derailleur was a 93. Nothing else on the frame but a corroded BB, heavy cranks with triple steel chainrings and some Deore cantis which were missing parts. And the frame and fork weighed at least 9 lbs.
But, bored as hell, I poked through my stuff, found a good UN55 cartridge BB, an ok saddle, a couple of wheels, cheapo brake levers, crap pedals and my summer semislick 2" city tires. I bought a Tange head set, a seatpost, new cables and cable housing and a pair of v-brakes. The seat post was too big, although the LBS guy and I found specs that said it was 26.6 and that is what we ordered . Also on hand was an ok 40 tooth chainring, a semi cherry Sugino rd2 crank set, a cobbled together KMC chain, a flat bar and Ergon grips with small bar ends.
Sanded down the seat post a bit, greased the jockey wheels on the derailleur, and repacked the wheels, changing the parts on the rear hub to center it in the chain stays. Put everything together and it works pretty well. In the summer the sun heats up my minivan to 60C and that will cure a rattlecan paint job fairly quickly. I will strip the frame and fork, treat the rusty spots and paint it when it is warm enough outside.
I think it is about 27 lbs as is. The saddle and the single aluminum chainring stripped some weight. View attachment 568924

View attachment 568925

Between the long wheelbase and the 2 " tires it has a pretty plush ride. I do love level top tube chromo bikes and this one with studded snows will be good enough in the winter months. Light years away from the elegant jobs I've you guys turn out but still fun to work on.​

I used to have a mtn bike I bought mid 90s. The geometry wasn’t far off road bike, hence the longer top tubes than you see now. Steep downhills were exciting.

Very minor thing - but I have had my bike for about 18 months
When I got it I was so excited I just jumped on a rode it - I realised the saddle was a bit high - but by the time I got home I had forgotten about it

Anyway - it was in the LBS last week to replace some worn out gears and they must have done a test ride and had to drop the saddle a bit
so now it was too low

so today I finally - after 18 months - spent all of 2 minutes putting it at the right height!

hardly major engineering - but whatever

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK I didn't actually fettle this today. I did it a few weeks ago.
This is the back of my rack, on which I can now mount a Garmin Varia light and a small Cateye light side by side. Neither mount was designed for this purpose, nor was the rack, so a good deal of bodging was required but both mounts have proven to be secure under real-world testing.

1610730540221.png

D

Deleted member 1258

I put a new back brake cable on my fixed, now strictly speaking I don't need a back brake on my fixed, but its my winter bike and I don't want to rely on a front brake and my feeble leg braking skills when its slippery. Whilst I was doing the job I finally got round to changing the brake calliper, the one that Genesis fit is a bit too short reach, it needs the rear wheel as far forward in the track end as it will go, then when the chain wears and the wheel is pulled back you can't adjust the brake to keep it on the rim, so a longer reach back brake and a new cable fitted this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

philtalksbx

Über Member
I finally put some barrel adjusters on the Record Ace. I bought them back in the autumn but lost a couple of months to you-know-what and only now am I finally turning my mind back to cycling.
C5E28A46-8EAA-4E8B-9CBB-1255649DBEC3.jpeg

Hopefully now I can dial in the indexing just right. Maybe three months in the shed has caused the rear mech to bind a bit because it wasn‘t shifting consistently on the first click to begin with. It improved on the test ride but maybe needs a bit more tlc and new lube on the pivots.

Gunk

Guru
After a longer ride this afternoon I decided that the fancy SLR saddle I fitted wasn’t doing it for me,

so I swapped it for a comfortable gel Selle Italia I had in my box of bits, which is an old favourite, Van Nicholas don’t made swapping seats an easy task, the titanium seat post has to be bent open to remove the seat and then clamped shut with some mole grips to get the bolts back in, as I’ve done it before, it wasn’t quite so nerve racking this time.

My spare rear wheel for the Shimpag turbo bike also arrived, the seller was accurate in his description it genuinely is like new.

I’m just waiting for Campagnolo Chorus 9 Speed cassette to arrive, I did however have a spin around the close on the Shimpag now it’s fitted with a pair of road tyres and was really pleased with how it rides, I’m looking forward to a proper road test once we have some better/dryer weather.

Tyre fitted and it’s hanging up waiting.

Tom B

Guru
Noticed the right shifter was getting sticky and reluctant on my last ride so stripped it off and cleaned it out today. Flooded it with carb cleaner and then with GT85 a few times. Found I've left my grease at my dad's so used some scented vaseline on the grease points.

Certainly smells nice.

The freewheel unit was sticking on my last ride, but seems much better today. It was sub minus 7 so I wonder if the grease was getting thick and reluctant or if there was some ice in there. Still doesn't bode well.

It's a Shimano 8speed freehub body is there any point in taking it apart or just swap it out?

Top Bottom