What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally changed my luggage rack:

20210118_180229.jpg

The old one was a salvage when I fitted it to this bike nearly a decade ago and was a bit awkward so it was time to replace it.

I'll need to fine tune it at work with the longer hex keys they have there, but it's solid enough for tomorrows ride.

To my frank astonishment the dynamo lights still work too...

12boy

Guru
In the past I sprayed a Raleigh Technium with gray primer and my 85 'Dale mtn bike with red, and then clear coated them both. Both, but especially the gray had sort of a metal flake quality that was only visible after the clear coat. The red wound up an oxblood color. I am thinking I'll do this Bianchi in the red in the spring when I can spray paint outside. If/when I do this I'll post some pics for your derision.
I had made up the Technium for my nephew who had a lot of problems. He wound up killing himself and at his memorial and old friend of his asked if he could have it so I know it got a good home. The good thing about primer is there's no need to strip the frame so it works well to just paint over it. Kinda sleazy but it certainly works. Primer is a lot more forgiving of painting goofs since it tends to dry flat and matte.

Tom B

Guru
In the past I sprayed a Raleigh Technium with gray primer and my 85 'Dale mtn bike with red, and then clear coated them both. Both, but especially the gray had sort of a metal flake quality that was only visible after the clear coat. The red wound up an oxblood color. I am thinking I'll do this Bianchi in the red in the spring when I can spray paint outside. If/when I do this I'll post some pics for your derision.
I had made up the Technium for my nephew who had a lot of problems. He wound up killing himself and at his memorial and old friend of his asked if he could have it so I know it got a good home. The good thing about primer is there's no need to strip the frame so it works well to just paint over it. Kinda sleazy but it certainly works. Primer is a lot more forgiving of painting goofs since it tends to dry flat and matte.

There was a time when royal mail pillar boxes were painted in red undercoat and then varnished in clear gloss.. Or so I am told by a believable source.

Finally changed my luggage rack:

View attachment 569591

The old one was a salvage when I fitted it to this bike nearly a decade ago and was a bit awkward so it was time to replace it.

I'll need to fine tune it at work with the longer hex keys they have there, but it's solid enough for tomorrows ride.

To my frank astonishment the dynamo lights still work too...

Fine tuning done although finding tools was a headache. The rack is now on straight and not interfering with the brakes which was one reason for changing the rack: The old one was a bit too wide for V-Brakes.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A non starter of a fettle today.

I ordered & received a front chainring from Superstar Components last week so that I can try my Pickenflick flatbar with a 1x setup instead of the double currently fitted. It was only when I went to fit it this morning that I thought it looked a bit small - they'd sent a 40 tooth ring, not the 46 I'd ordered & paid extra for. Still, at least I had an excuse for a ride to post it back for replacement.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Took saddle from summer bike and put it on my old CX. While the Genesis is waiting for parts, I will ride it, not taking my lovely old steel roadie out in this weather.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fitted the Zefal Epsion z56 mirror to my recumbent. It replaces a Zefal Spy mirror. The latter is designed to be fitted to handlebars further away I think. So half my shoulder was in the rear view. New mirror is on a stalk and a little under 4 times surface area. So hopefully I’ll have a much better view to the rear. The clamp needed a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the bars under it, to ensure it tightened up nice and firm.

Also chucked a couple more puncture kits in tool bag and found my decent tyre levers which were hiding on road bike.

Tomorrow looks drier for a first run of new mirror.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I put a 700C innertube into a 650A tyre to see if it would fit. I wasn't really surprised to find that there would have been a 30mm fold in it.

si_c

Guru
Done a couple of things over the last week - tweaked the derailleur position on the Racelight - there was a slight delay in shifting up or down the block. Seems better now. Also retaped the bars - used the same tape, just unwound and rewound as it had started to unravel a bit at the curve of the tops.

Then adjusted the rear mudguard position on the Trek - it's now much closer to the tyre at the rear so less visible. Works a tiny bit better too.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned a couple of bikes; my Wilier Montegrappa and son's Boardman AirPro.

Now I'm painting up some chips/scratches with lacquer after on his Boardman and then his BeOne. Using a Junior 14-28 cassette isn't kind on the frame in places as the chain-line can get tight at some points. It's chipped off paint at both right rear chainstays. With the Boardman being re-sprayed matt black over metallic blue (not by us) it's a bit messy to tidy up.

Top Bottom