What Have You Fettled Today?

bikingdad90

Veteran
I’ll be doing the same @Gunk when my new tyres arrive. Continental speed contact tyres going on the new wheelset and the Bontranger R3 tyres going on my spare wheelset to get rid of the cheapo kenda tyres. Now just need a cheapo rear wheel to put the kenda tyre on for the turbo.

Gunk

Veteran
I’ll be doing the same @Gunk when my new tyres arrive. Continental speed contact tyres going on the new wheelset and the Bontranger R3 tyres going on my spare wheelset to get rid of the cheapo kenda tyres. Now just need a cheapo rear wheel to put the kenda tyre on for the turbo.
The problem is with Campagnolo is that there is no such thing as a cheap decent spare rear wheel. However I picked up a brand new Mavic CXP rim with a Campy hub, so with a used identical Chorus cassette I’m all in for just over £100, if it had been Shimano I could have bought everything for about half the price.

All this Agro because I had a Eurus wheelset I wanted to use. I should have sold them and just bought a decent used Mavic Aksium wheelset, you live and learn!

I had a tyre swaporama this afternoon, I replaced the 23c GP 4000's off my Van Nicholas for new 28c GP 5000's. They just fit under the mudguards, but they will be much better for town riding with panniers. If needed I can run them at 85psi which will make riding a bit more comfortable.

View attachment 568295

I recycled the slightly worn 4000's on to my Ribble EM2 Turbo bike, I've also today bought a spare Campag rear wheel off eBay just for the turbo, so I can then quickly swap rear wheels and use the Ribble on the road this summer. Plus it will be useful as a spare road bike, if we ever have guests again!

View attachment 568296

So that was my fart arsing around this afternoon!
I had a similar time putting studded tyres on my commuter. It turns out they are heavy: When I'd fitted he studded tyre on the back I took the front out and the upside down bike tipped backwards.

Tom B

Über Member
I was annoyed a few days ago that both my Lezyne rear lights packed up at the same time. Having had issues with poor build quality and parts choices on Lezyne stuff in the past I had put them to one side for a closer look. Neither would charge.

The Zecto drive was about 2 years and 2 months old and the stripdrive about 3. Lezyne's website said for warranty lengths in UK ask your retailer. Tredz very curtly and slightly rudely said "on yer bike". So I didn't order a replacement from them.

Took the strip drive to bits, or rather just pulled the gubbins out, the fault appears to be an IC chip that when plugged into the charger just gets stupidly hot. Googling the numbers on the chip gives no suggestion of what it does but I'll hazard a guess it's the charge controller. So tossed that aside as I doubt I'd be able to physically replace the chip anyway.

Took the Zecto drive apart. As soon as I had the PCB out it worked as it should. Fiddling around showed the fault was with the micro usb connector. I remembered I had some of them from when I replaced on in a phone years ago so dug them out. Managed to free the old connector from the PCB but my soldering iron was far to big to reattach. Tried a bit of copper wire in the iron which failed but then hit on using a sewing needle from the missus seeing kit. Bingo.
When I came to reassemble it I noticed that two of the holes in the red plastic lens which form part of the front were broken. Managed to get them back together with araldite and then strengthen them. Left it to cure before I reassemble.

For a brand that sings about their design quality I'm unimpressed with lots of aspects. The fact the thing is held together by 1mm or so of brittle lens plastic on the vulnerable corners. The really poor seal and ingress protection on both the Zecto drive and the stripdrive. I can't help wondering if they've both suffered ingress which has caused the problem. Newer stripdrives have a different charging arrangement, but are still poor. If I bought it again tomorrow I think I'd seal it up with Epoxy.

The bike desperately needs a new crank, chain and cassette. Being deep in mingy salty weather I'm loathed to change it. It all needs doing so it's not like anything is lost by leaving it. But the drive chain does go really rusty really quickly. Leaves me pondering if old really worn chains rust faster.

Anyway washed it clean and relubed.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fitted the headset races back onto the Ribble (bearing presses and a threadded bar). Fitted the rear drop out adjusters, fitted the new seat post and saddle (something to hold the bike by), threadded in the BB (not tight yet), drilled out the BB cable guides to 3mm to fit PTFE liner and fitted 3m helicopter tape to the drive side chain stay.

Tom B

Über Member
Crowed too soon about not changing anything on my worn-out chainset. Over last two days it wouldn't stay in the middle ring and there was so much wear side to side in the chain it would take three clicks to change on the RD. Leaving me with just the middle of the block. It seems all that rusty gunk was stiffening up the chain.

Ive slapped a chain on it for now and we'll have a laugh at how hideously skatey it is later

Attachments

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

Formerly YukonBoy
Car failed MOT.

Wiper blade split drivers side
Bonnet wouldn’t close.

So bought and fitted new wiper.
With help of flat blade screw driver, socket set, unbolted bonnet latch, applied copious penetrating and lubricating oil, then rebolted in place. That sorted out bonnet latch

Car passed retest MOT when I took it back.

Ran out of daylight to bleed the hydraulic front brake on my recumbent.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Another member spending the day fettling the car.
I foolishly broke the turn-signal lens in my passenger-side door mirror.
It contains a number of small yellow LEDs
Fortunately you can buy the lamp unit without having to replace the whole mirror.
That was today's fettle - Fiddly - But less difficult to change it than I expected.
Success !!
MOT test next Monday.

Attachments

Tom B

Über Member
Ive slapped a chain on it for now and we'll have a laugh at how hideously skatey it is later
Answer, exceedingly.

Only the two largest sprockets were serviceable.

New cassette fitted. I await the arrival of my new crankset from bikeparts.co.uk....

Anyone used them?

Car failed MOT.
As mine has got older I have taken to presenting it for Mot before fixing faults. I would hate to spend time and money fixing known faults A only to find unknown fault B writes it off.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most of the Ribble is back together. Separate thread for photos. The quill stem didn't want to go back in. Had to remove the 'wedge' pop the long bolt on it, and tap it in with a hammer. Then take stem, fit that too, and tap that in as well. It moved fine after the first CM. :ohmy:

Top Bottom