What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Car failed MOT.

Wiper blade split drivers side
Bonnet wouldn’t close.

So bought and fitted new wiper.
With help of flat blade screw driver, socket set, unbolted bonnet latch, applied copious penetrating and lubricating oil, then rebolted in place. That sorted out bonnet latch

Car passed retest MOT when I took it back.

Ran out of daylight to bleed the hydraulic front brake on my recumbent.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Another member spending the day fettling the car.
I foolishly broke the turn-signal lens in my passenger-side door mirror.
It contains a number of small yellow LEDs
Fortunately you can buy the lamp unit without having to replace the whole mirror.
That was today's fettle - Fiddly - But less difficult to change it than I expected.
Success !!
MOT test next Monday.

Attachments

• DSC03989.JPG
    DSC03989.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 3

Tom B

Guru
Ive slapped a chain on it for now and we'll have a laugh at how hideously skatey it is later

Answer, exceedingly.

Only the two largest sprockets were serviceable.

New cassette fitted. I await the arrival of my new crankset from bikeparts.co.uk....

Anyone used them?

Car failed MOT.

As mine has got older I have taken to presenting it for Mot before fixing faults. I would hate to spend time and money fixing known faults A only to find unknown fault B writes it off.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most of the Ribble is back together. Separate thread for photos. The quill stem didn't want to go back in. Had to remove the 'wedge' pop the long bolt on it, and tap it in with a hammer. Then take stem, fit that too, and tap that in as well. It moved fine after the first CM. :ohmy:

Put my new 28c tyres on the road bike and then had a load of irritating rubbing/squealing noise from the rear mudguard near the brake calipers. In the end wheel out, mudguard bridge nut hole butchered to allow me to move it further up with a junior hacksaw blade and then trimmed some of the mudguard away in the narrower section to try and stop the noise. Seems to have done the trick but will see how long the guard now lasts and how long it is silent before it shuffles and starts again.

Gunk

Guru
Put my new 28c tyres on the road bike and then had a load of irritating rubbing/squealing noise from the rear mudguard near the brake calipers. In the end wheel out, mudguard bridge nut hole butchered to allow me to move it further up with a junior hacksaw blade and then trimmed some of the mudguard away in the narrower section to try and stop the noise. Seems to have done the trick but will see how long the guard now lasts and how long it is silent before it shuffles and starts again.

I’ve just changed from 23c to 28c on my Van Nic Amazon, luckily no mods needed, they fitted perfectly.

and this time it seems stable, with no crashes or reboots since installed. When I installed Android 8, it wasn’t very stable. Probably installed an incompatible version of Google apps on top of Android. Anyway, so far, so good, with latest update I’ve applied.

Is this via Lineage or similar? Wondering if I should push my S7 Edge up to 10 or 11...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Blimey it’s cold outside.

Have now bleed the front hydraulic Shimano XT brakes. With it hovering around zero the tube was not flexible enough to fit over bleed port. So ran it under hot tap for a while, which made it warm and flexible enough. Plenty of air bubbles came out, which is what the bleed is all about removing. Then could not fit wheel back in with pads back in. So spent some time trying to push pistons back into caliper body. I’d overfilled it with brake fluid, and made mistake of pulling lever once bleed block out. So master cylinder port off, and managed to push pistons fully in, catching excess fluid in paper towel.

Good news after all of that is that brakes nice and crisp again. Bleeding brakes when it’s freezing outside isn’t the easiest! I had to keep popping back inside to warm hands up. The rear brake is fine, so at least I only had one brake to do.

Now cup of tea and washing up whilst I warm up. Then pop out for an hour ride or so to ensure everything is good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom