Garmin Varia Radar Rear Light Seat Stay Mount?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abcd efg

Über Member
Mine's on the back of a rack so just a smidge higher than the top of the back wheel. Works fine.

Could you please tell me how you managed to do that mount. I too have a saddlebag complication but mounting the Varia at the back of the rack would be solve it. I did look for commercialy available mounts that could be attached that way but couldn't find any. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Depending on whether you have, or can make, appropriately spaced holes in your rack, you could use the Tailfin 'seat post mimic' mount along with the normal Varia mount, attached to the back of the rack.
https://www.tailfin.cc/product/spares/accessories-accessories/trunk-bag-light-mount/?v=79cba1185463

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Could you please tell me how you managed to do that mount. I too have a saddlebag complication but mounting the Varia at the back of the rack would be solve it. I did look for commercialy available mounts that could be attached that way but couldn't find any. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

I bought a quarter turn mount off ebay and used various screws to mount it on the back of my rack. I've forgotten exactly what I did, but it's quite ugly. Fortuntely most of the ugliness is hidden when I have my rack pack on the rack.

There's a picture of it here here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/page-745#post-6274526

abcd efg

Über Member
I bought a quarter turn mount off ebay and used various screws to mount it on the back of my rack. I've forgotten exactly what I did, but it's quite ugly. Fortuntely most of the ugliness is hidden when I have my rack pack on the rack.

There's a picture of it here here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/page-745#post-6274526

Thanks. I'll give it some thought? Were you able to drill through the plastic of the actual mount without creating a crack?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks. I'll give it some thought? Were you able to drill through the plastic of the actual mount without creating a crack?

Not necessary. The mount I bought has two layers. It is designed to be mounted as a stem top cap. The bottom layer is bolted to the rack with a big bolt. The next layer is attached to the bottom layer with the two small screws you can see. I had to dremmel the rack a bit to get the big bolt through.

It's done a few thousand miles without problem so far.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not necessary. The mount I bought has two layers. It is designed to be mounted as a stem top cap. The bottom layer is bolted to the rack with a big bolt. The next layer is attached to the bottom layer with the two small screws you can see. I had to dremmel the rack a bit to get the big bolt through.

It's done a few thousand miles without problem so far.

PS the mount I used was something like this. But not this exact one

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Computer-Holder-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B09TSX4C57/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2NVIXPBJ9XFEI

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are feeling super brave then you can buy stick on quarter turn mounts. At least the head unit will beep and tell you when the Varia does fall off.

Mike_P

Guru
If you are feeling super brave then you can buy stick on quarter turn mounts. At least the head unit will beep and tell you when the Varia does fall off.

Not sure mine did when a 3D printed mount broke after 100 miles. More the noise of it hitting the road attracted my attention. Thankfully the Varia landed mid lane of the carriageway and was not run over.

november4

Definitely also use on of these stick on backup lanyards.

I did the similar hack to a toppeak saddle bag......was very frustrated with Garmin's lack of foresight in providing solutions

The radar works great though and has a wide and far detection zone, wouldn't ride without it now, much safer

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Definitely also use on of these stick on backup lanyards.

I did the similar hack to a toppeak saddle bag......was very frustrated with Garmin's lack of foresight in providing solutions

The radar works great though and has a wide and far detection zone, wouldn't ride without it now, much safer

It is frustrating. I would have thought they’d lose quite a few sales due to this?

I don’t think I’ll be buying one until a decent proprietary mount is available for use with large saddle packs.

alex_cycles

Veteran
It is frustrating. I would have thought they’d lose quite a few sales due to this?
I've been on group rides where 6 out of 6 people have one.
I think they're selling tonnes of them, which is why they can afford to rack the price up to £170. I do think they've screwed up with the new camera version though as the camera isn't good enough to justify £300.

I don’t think I’ll be buying one until a decent proprietary mount is available for use with large saddle packs.
Knowing Garmin, they won't bother.

Top Bottom