Garmin VIRB Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Having been on about getting a camera for ages I finally took the plunge. I bought a Garmin VIRB Basic with helmet mount and a 16GB MicroSD card. I'm not good at writing reviews so these are more my first thoughts.

The camera feels well made. The helmet mount was easy to fit. The camera does feel heavy when mounted on the helmet but I'll get used to it. Connecting it to the PC with Garmin Express running got the camera updated to the latest software.

Image quality is good. I tested the camera on cycle paths which aren't very smooth so there was some shake but some of that could be my helmet being a bit loose as it's a little on the large side. I plan on buying a new helmet soon anyway. Image stabilisation is awful though so I'll put up with some shake for now.

I recorded my test videos at 1080p. They use a lot of space at this resolution. Apparently I can only fit 1 hour 43 minutes on my 16 GB card. That'll do for commuting though. 720p is probably good enough but I haven't tested that resolution yet.

The VIRB Elite does a lot more but this one will suit my needs. I only need it for commuting.

I'm in two minds about VIRB Edit. I love how it adds graphics to videos from my GPS data. It's really easy to sync the video with the GPS track. It does seem to crash a lot though.

All in all I'm very happy with the VIRB.

Falco Frank

Über Member
Well done, I saw the Virb range at the NEC motorbike show last year and was impressed. I ended up getting the JVC Adixxion cam after one went for a song near me on Ebay.

I tried a pedal bike mount but it bounced all over - there was a recommendation for a better make mount on here somewhere (sorry).

7dayshop sell reasonably priced memory, look out for their sale items and be careful to buy the right class of card - for 1080 mine needs class 10

Be VERY CAREFUL, if buying memory cards off Ebay - I got stung but got my money back. Buggers can make a card to appear bigger that it actually is!!!

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
For memory cards I tend to buy from bricks and mortar retailers or trusted online shops even if I have to pay extra. The 16GB card I bought was from Amazon, Sandisk Ultra class 10, and it seems very good for video. It's a bit small for full HD though. Today's 23 minute commute came in at 3.38 GB at 1080p!

I've adjusted my helmet and it now feels better. There wasn't anywhere near the amount of shaking on my road bike on the road as there was on the cycle paths.

All in all I'm very happy with the camera.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I caved and ordered a 64GB card. Amazon have a Sandisk Ultra class 10 card with transfer rates up to 48MB/s, which should be better than the 16GB one I bought, for £22.99. I need to be able to record 4 - 5 hours of video per week for my commutes then I can sort the video out at the weekend. A 64GB card should do that.

I could just drop the resolution but the camera works perfectly well at 1080 and I'd rather use it to it's full capabilities if I can.

D

Deleted member 23692

The image stabilization only works on some modes, so play around with the settings

I mount mine to my super modified K-edge mounts to which I can fix both a Virb and eTrex. It's just a VIRB tripod mount screwed through to clamp it to the mount and a couple of grub screws in to stop it rotating.

2_zpsbl6wzy1x.jpg

I haven't really noticed a problem given that it's a solid mount so will be susceptible to road buzz like anything else. I've got those mounts on both MTB and Hybrid, but only the eTrex version on my road bike, as I don't think roads are worth wasting video on :smile:. MTB suspension helps smooth out the road buzz, at the expense of sounding like a Stuka

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG2V-HuH9zY

Attachments

• 2_zpsbl6wzy1x.jpg
    2_zpsbl6wzy1x.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
@Ffoeg That video looks alright. Is that with stabilisation? It does look like a nice smooth road either way. My video isn't too bad. It just gets a bit worse on bumpy roads/paths.

I do like that mount. :smile:

D

Deleted member 23692

It may look smooth, but it certainly isn't. Maybe as I've been down there countless times I subconsciously pick a smooth line. Who knows?

I'm sure it was with image stabilisation, but I've never fathomed out which mode it actually works with, as every time I go to the menu it's switched OFF, but it seems like it only work on the zoom modes.

Gotta loved Garmin's 'sort it out for yourself' instruction manual!

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I know it can be turned on in 1080p mode. It also turns on lens correct. I really need to get in there an look at the settings.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I ordered one today too, before it gets harder to find this model. I don't really care for the new style.
I have a 32gb memory card but I think I'll order a 64gb card.
I don't need it for commuting or anything so important. Simply hoping to show my wife where I go on my rides. Hopefully she find it interesting to start cycling again ;)

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm glad I bought the 64GB card now I'm taking weird off road routes. I'll nearly fill the card this week. I'm quite impressed with the camera's low light performance too.

Falco Frank

Über Member
What editing software are peeps using please?

Been recommended Adobe Premiere Pro but the new version now is by monthly subscription!?!

Cyberlink director keeps coming back good in reviews...

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
What editing software are peeps using please?

Been recommended Adobe Premiere Pro but the new version now is by monthly subscription!?!

Cyberlink director keeps coming back good in reviews...
I'm just using VIRB Edit from Garmin. It lets me chop my videos up, add some basic transitions and it has those dial, gauge and graph overlays of my GPS data. I mainly use it for the overlays but as a basic video editor it does the job well.

DWiggy

Über Member
I ordered one today too, before it gets harder to find this model. I don't really care for the new style.
I have a 32gb memory card but I think I'll order a 64gb card.
I don't need it for commuting or anything so important. Simply hoping to show my wife where I go on my rides. Hopefully she find it interesting to start cycling again ;)
Its needs to be a class 10 sd card, I used one that wasn't on first use and thought I had a duff camera as it wouldn't turn on, all resolved when I got a new SD card.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I add all the overlays in the garmin software, export it all and then edit it properly in iMovie.
Do you lose any quality doing it that way? I don't have a Mac so would either end up using MS Movie Maker (why bother) or paying for something and I don't do enough video editing for that.

Top Bottom