Garmin Virb Edit: Insane Gradient Readings....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
I took some footage with my Mobius cam and uploaded it into Garmin Virb Edit, along with the gpx. file from my phone.

I wanted to embed some overlays onto videos and was told that the Virb Edit would do the trick.

Everything seems OK regards speed, distance etc but the grade (%) is sometimes off the charts, and by that I mean it's giving me 25% readings on a climb that's no more than 10-12%. It even suggested that the percentage of one climb was 7035%...and that was on the flat?

Does anyone know why the grade is so inaccurate? I've seen other footage on Youtube and the grade seems pretty relative.

TIA

The grade is on the right hand side of the screen captures below

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
No takers?

andyfraser

Über Member
Unfortunately I don't know why the grade is inaccurate. I just wanted to ask, can you use any camera with Garmin Virb Edit or does it have to be a Garmin camera? I ask because when I Google "Mobius cams" I don't get Garmin cameras but Garmin reckon you need a Garmin camera to use Virb Edit.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I use a Möbius, mate.

The uploading of files is slightly different to that of a Garnin product, but it's easy. Let me know if you have trouble and I'll help if I can.

Just a quick tip. You'll need to convert the video file to MP4 format, and also you may have problems with audio. I record from the möbius in MP4 format and either take out the audio completely in a video editor or convert the file, changing the audio track to MP3.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Unfortunately I don't know why the grade is inaccurate. I just wanted to ask, can you use any camera with Garmin Virb Edit or does it have to be a Garmin camera? I ask because when I Google "Mobius cams" I don't get Garmin cameras but Garmin reckon you need a Garmin camera to use Virb Edit.
Yes. If the camera records .MP4, any other format (Shimano Sport Cam - .MOV for example) would need converting first

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Also, the highest quality settings on the Mobius in MP4 format run at around 18mbps. Whilst this is great quality, it produces a HUGE file size of around 2GB every 15 minutes. Virb edit only allows a maximum file size of 4GB (it's to do with the Mobius SD card being formatted to FAT32 as opposed to NTFS) Have a go at various settings on your camera. 1080p vs 720p, Low/Standard/High quality, to see what works best for you regards quality and size.

In all honesty, you're still going to have to convert the files after if you ride for more than an hour or so, just to get the file size down. This, in my opinion, is the weakness of Virb edit. Why limit the file size to a maximum 4GB upload?

That said, the footage from the Mobius is the best out there. Hands down!

User269

Yes, Virb edit is designed for virb cameras. There are ways of uploading other camera data of course, but why anyone would expect all the features to work I don't know.
With a virb camera I've been pleased with edit, producing videos plus overlay data showing altitude etc.
The max file size of 4Gb is an issue to do with microsoft, but no longer a problem with win 8 on.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'd love to see some footage from the mobius @migrantwing just to compare to my own :smile:

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Yes, Virb edit is designed for virb cameras. There are ways of uploading other camera data of course, but why anyone would expect all the features to work I don't know.
With a virb camera I've been pleased with edit, producing videos plus overlay data showing altitude etc.
The max file size of 4Gb is an issue to do with microsoft, but no longer a problem with win 8 on.

The fundamentals are the same. Video footage + gpx or fit files. I don't think it matters, as long as the same formats are used.

I'm not having problems with ANYTHING else, just the grade feature.

Shame that Windows 8 is total c**p and that some people can't afford £200-£400 for a Virb :smile:

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
Thanks guys. I don't have a camera (yet!). I like the idea of having data from my Garmin overlaid on to any video I produce but wasn't sure I wanted to spend money on a Virb camera when there are cheaper options that may work just as well for me. If I can get the data overlays with the cheaper camera then that'll do for me. :smile:

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Thanks guys. I don't have a camera (yet!). I like the idea of having data from my Garmin overlaid on to any video I produce but wasn't sure I wanted to spend money on a Virb camera when there are cheaper options that may work just as well for me. If I can get the data overlays with the cheaper camera then that'll do for me. :smile:

Like I said, ALL the data overlays work fine for me, except for the grade. I don't know if that's down to my gpx files or what. Seeings as you have a Garmin device, I'm sure the gpx data will be fine.

andyfraser

Über Member
Like I said, ALL the data overlays work fine for me, except for the grade. I don't know if that's down to my gpx files or what. Seeings as you have a Garmin device, I'm sure the gpx data will be fine.
And even if it's not, luckily grade isn't one of the things I'm interested in. It's flat here. What I call tough hills most here would call slight inclines. :smile:

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
And even if it's not, luckily grade isn't one of the things I'm interested in. It's flat here. What I call tough hills most here would call slight inclines. :smile:

It's something to do with barometric readings, I believe?!?!?!

There are some killer climbs around here. I hit two on Sunday.

Top Bottom