Garmin VIRB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Virb Edit is free and works with any footage and any GPS

I have used GoPro footage and the output from a Suunto Ambit to get the output video with speed and position

D

Deleted member 23692

Am keen on having software that auto generates the time lapse video
Virbs do the time lapse in-camera and the result is ready to play without the need to edit. The software just enables you to edit the footage if you want to. It'll also turn the footage through 180 degress if you mount it upside down and forget to tell the camera you've done so

I've bought a Virb basic - with the bike mount & extra battery for +£12. The mini-B USB cable was faulty out of the box, but fortunately my Etrex mini-B cables work fine - Garmin are sending a new mini B lead. The Virb came with 2.6 firmware - so I updated immediately to 4, using Garmin Express. 32Gb Class10 mSD in.

Mostly interested in the time-lapse. So far I've mounted the unit on the handlebars, and done a couple of 10 mile time lapse vids on the commmute. Impressed, quality is very good - bumpy roads in deep shadow (low light) possibly more prone to some blur, but not a huge issue. 30-40mins of 1080p, 0.5s capture doesn't make much dent on the battery life, and having the spare battery and ability to time lapse record with USB battery pack attached (in the dry) is good. I've tried both wide and Ultra-zoom settings, both seem good. Using Virb edit I overlaid my Etrex captured gpx onto the timelapse video with the simple manual alignment feature, and it's spot on. I like the speed/altitude/compass heading, and route progress indicators.

So far so good. Going to try time lapsing the whole of Sunday's 100km..

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I've bought a Virb basic - with the bike mount & extra battery for +£12. The mini-B USB cable was faulty out of the box, but fortunately my Etrex mini-B cables work fine - Garmin are sending a new mini B lead. The Virb came with 2.6 firmware - so I updated immediately to 4, using Garmin Express. 32Gb Class10 mSD in.

Mostly interested in the time-lapse. So far I've mounted the unit on the handlebars, and done a couple of 10 mile time lapse vids on the commmute. Impressed, quality is very good - bumpy roads in deep shadow (low light) possibly more prone to some blur, but not a huge issue. 30-40mins of 1080p, 0.5s capture doesn't make much dent on the battery life, and having the spare battery and ability to time lapse record with USB battery pack attached (in the dry) is good. I've tried both wide and Ultra-zoom settings, both seem good. Using Virb edit I overlaid my Etrex captured gpx onto the timelapse video with the simple manual alignment feature, and it's spot on. I like the speed/altitude/compass heading, and route progress indicators.

So far so good. Going to try time lapsing the whole of Sunday's 100km..

Andy, where did you buy the extra battery and bike mount for 12 quid - or did you buy the Virb bundle and it cost an extra 12 quid?

Yes it was the mount & battery bundle for £109.

Edit - following issue now appears fixed.
I'm now having a few issues with the unit battery level indicator not registering battery discharge, and the unit not charging either. Currently operating the Virb to totally discharge the battery and then see what happens. Should try another mini-B cable too, but have contacted Garmin support.

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Yes it was the mount & battery bundle for £109.

I'm now having a few issues with the unit battery level indicator not registering battery discharge, and the unit not charging either. Currently operating the Virb to totally discharge the battery and then see what happens. Should try another mini-B cable too, but have contacted Garmin support.

Thanks!

I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger on the Virb. £80 is a good deal, but far less so if it is blighted with software bugs and cable issues.

Thanks!

I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger on the Virb. £80 is a good deal, but far less so if it is blighted with software bugs and cable issues.

I was aware of some reported bug/issues (read amazon reviews), but hoped for the best. Unit was fine for a few days, so not sure what's going on. Perhaps I'm just unlucky - will report back.

I was aware of some reported bug/issues (read amazon reviews), but hoped for the best. Unit was fine for a few days, so not sure what's going on. Perhaps I'm just unlucky - will report back.

With my recording to deplete the battery, the unit shutdown with the level indicator showing ~50% charge. I've plugged the unit in to the PC USB port and it's now charging as it should. I wondering whether it's only charging when the battery is completely discharged - not sure yet.

I've swapped to charging from my Anker battery pack, as it's faster (1A) than the PC USB port.

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
With my recording to deplete the battery, the unit shutdown with the level indicator showing ~50% charge. I've plugged the unit in to the PC USB port and it's now charging as it should. I wondering whether it's only charging when the battery is completely discharged - not sure yet.

I've swapped to charging from my Anker battery pack, as it's faster (1A) than the PC USB port.

That's a little more reassuring. Thanks

Is the circumference of the handlebar mount sufficient to clamp to a stem?

OK, I was advised to do a 'master reset' by Garmin support: https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={a15844c0-459f-11e3-f27b-000000000000}

Looks like this did the trick, as I tested operation earlier and the battery level indicator (while recording) continued dropping to become a red bar and I received a 'Low Battery' warning. So hopefully all OK re. this. :smile:

The different 'known issue' - subject of the youtube video above may still apply (will continue observing Virb behaviour) - but I could live with that until hopefully updated in future firmware.

Last edited:
Prices may come down again once the new ('rectangular') Virb is out...

I've now tried ride video 1080/25 (with virb mounted on on handlebars) and on 23mm tyres and UK roads, the image stabilisation has arguably, too much vibration to cope with. Results are Ok, but I'm more interested in Time Lapse anyway, and for this the Virb appears pretty good (especially the ease with which the unit can be run off an external power source). TL files are quite large e.g. my 24 min TL video of the Blowingstone Audax (part on Youtube) was 6Gb for 1080p/25fps, but Handbrake is useful for downsizing. I can't see myself ever mounting the Virb onna helmet as it's a bit heavier than average, and slightly bulkier. I've also bought a tripod mount (~£5) so it can sit on a camera mini pod...

Top Bottom