Garmin VIRB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Prices may come down again once the new ('rectangular') Virb is out...

I've now tried ride video 1080/25 (with virb mounted on on handlebars) and on 23mm tyres and UK roads, the image stabilisation has arguably, too much vibration to cope with. Results are Ok, but I'm more interested in Time Lapse anyway, and for this the Virb appears pretty good (especially the ease with which the unit can be run off an external power source). TL files are quite large e.g. my 24 min TL video of the Blowingstone Audax (part on Youtube) was 6Gb for 1080p/25fps, but Handbrake is useful for downsizing. I can't see myself ever mounting the Virb onna helmet as it's a bit heavier than average, and slightly bulkier. I've also bought a tripod mount (~£5) so it can sit on a camera mini pod...

I found that mounting cameras on the stems with rubber shims reduces the vibration/jello effect compared to handlebar mounting - not markedly, but appreciably, as does running the camera on the 720/60 setting.

Glad to hear the camera appears to work for your intended purpose.

If anyone's interested, the fix for the battery level indicator not reflecting true battery charge (and unit turning off at indicated 40-50% full), is apparently to discharge the battery and then leave to charge overnight. Used this method with my spare battery in Virb.

Comment on virb in rain - very impressed. I was on 165km ride on Sat. I captured the whole ride (~6:45hrs moving) on 1/2s time lapse using the virb powered by a USB battery in my tribag. I ran the virb for quite a few hours with the USB lead attached in light drizzle conditions - the rubber flap is such that even when open it's not bad at keeping some rain out. For the last 30km the rain ranged from torrential to biblical, and I just pulled the lead out and ran the unit on battery. I think the convex outer glass of the virb lens may help allow air movement to displace rain drops on the glass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom