Garmin wireless options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
thanks to some help on here a couple of years ago, I bought a second hand Edge 200 and was enamoured with it. It was no fuss, could do the breadcrumb navigation and I got usef to plotting courses at home pretty easily.

Now I'm aux fait with that and using Strava/Garmin Connect I want to step up and see the Edge 520 has got bluetooth to allow me to auto upload to the apps for the above platforms.

Can anyone who has one confirm that the 520 still allows you to set up your own courses in advance of first use by the same breadcrumb method, or if even better something built in? Similarly can you upload ride data via bluetooth later on, so I don't have to worry about having bluetooth draining my phone if I'm out on a long ride.

Community help as always is appreciated :smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The 520 can do the same breadcrumb following, it can even, with a bit of jiggerpokery, display a decent background map to help you further.

Bluetooth can be turned off and it will still function perfectly well. However, modern Bluetooth does not use too much power so you should be able to leave it on.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I have a 510 - that uses a bluetooth connection to link to your phone and upload your ride to Garmin, which in turn automatically sends the ride to Strava. It also allows me to follow a breadcrumb pre-loaded route. As the 520 is the updated 510 it will do these two functions and probably a bit more.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I have the Edge 1000.
In summary.....great if you follow the route, flips out when you miss a route point. Stay on course, fab. Turn off wifi and Bluetooth whilst you ride to save battery, also dim the display. You'll then get c10 hours out of it. Just turn them back on when you get home and auto upload your route.

Of course it and the 520 will do your ride data, cadence, power and HRM etc. Good device, just don't go "off course".

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks for the replies. I think I may do what I did last time and get a second hand 510 to start off with. I assume there isn't much difference between that and the 520.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
520 has live segments, I believe. Otherwise same as 510.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. :whistle:

Top Bottom