Gas stove

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used a Kelly Kettle when I was last in France. Lightweight, but bulky (but you can store things in it when travelling) and there's an adapter you can get to place saucepans and frying pans on top. Fuel is anything that burns - paper/wood/cardboard/etc.- so no problem with running out of gas!
Tony

I was in Italy recently and saw the puncture type ones (not Camping Gaz but same standard) in a small hardware chain store (commonly called some variant on "Brico" in Italy) for I think something like 1 or 1.5E.

Significantly cheaper than other types.

Meths also cheap in Italy of course - as all forms of alcohol usually are.

tadpole

Ikea ORDNING Stainless Steel Cutlery Utensil! + two metal tent pegs and a billy can (all of which can fit inside the "hobo") No gas, no fuss, and will hold enough twigs and pine cones to boil 2lts of water (in a suitable container) in about 9 minutes dependent on weather and wind. (Google Wayland stove for more know-how)

I sometimes get confused about postings on this and other forums. Someone asks a very specific question and many jump in with there own thoughts that are totally irrelevant to the question being asked. Perhaps all answers should be kept relevant to the OP question.

andym

Über Member
A fair point but ... the guy asks a question, a number of people take the time to offer suggestions and comments. Some of these are useful (especially your post) while some are perhaps less useful . The OP then has to sort through which are of most use/interest to him. But where's the problem? I'm sure if I asked a question I'd rather have lots of replies and to then have to sort the wheat from the chaff than too few.

And often people ask questions based on limiting assumptions - and sometimes faulty assumptions. I'm not a Trangia fan boy but it seems completely reasonable and relevant to suggest carrying an alcohol stove as this is a fuel that is very widely available. Similarly it seems entirely reasonable and relevant to say 'hang on are you sure that the only place you can get petrol for your existing stove is in Greece?'. Maybe he is right but it is a reasonable question to ask.

My philosophy is that a forum is a forum - once you start a discussion it's public property: it's not just about the OP but about all of the other people who may be considering the same thing. The OP may hate Trangias with a passion but for others it may be an option to consider.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I sometimes get confused about postings on this and other forums. Someone asks a very specific question and many jump in with there own thoughts that are totally irrelevant to the question being asked. Perhaps all answers should be kept relevant to the OP question.

In an ideal world.........

Crankarm

Guru
Another Trangia fanboy with butane gas. I don't do meths. Vile stuff which stinks and takes an age to cook food, with an MSR Whisperlite and Pocket Rocket as 2nd stoves and for back up.

If solely going to France I take a Camping Gaz stove as CG is readily available every where over there.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I’m after recommendations for a reliable gas stove, and also the availability of the Coleman gas bottles against the Camping Gaz bottles.
I'd suggest either an MSR Superfly or one of the Primus Duo stoves. These will take either the Colman-style threaded canisters or the Camping Gaz click valve canisters without needing an adapter.

I sometimes get confused about postings on this and other forums. Someone asks a very specific question and many jump in with there own thoughts that are totally irrelevant to the question being asked.
That's the internet, I'm afraid. A related point is that when someone posts asking for advice on what to buy, and states what their maximum budget is, about 3/4 of respondents make suggestions that the OP can't afford.

I have found that through out Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Cambodia the gas for the camping stoves that use the EN417 standard threaded connection and use a lindal style valve are availble, but you have to resupply in the main towns or cities. most of the big shopping malls in Thailand and Malaysia and Singapore have adventure stores that stock outdoor supplies. last year in Phuket I bought a Chinese folding Epigas look alike style stove for about £7, and a very good bit of Kit it is, the same shop was selling a look alike of the Top range primus multi fuel stove for £40 a saving of about £110. My thoughts for travelling through Asia are use multi fuel stoves as unlike here fuel in small qualities are readily available.

Top Bottom