Gashed tyre, repairable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Picked up this beauty last night. A fresh tube got me home but pumped it up properly and it looks like this. That's a 1cm gash, at about 85psi. Hutchinson Fusion 5 30mm

I've heard about patching tyres but that seems a bit big of a cut to me. Broken glass the most likely candidate but whatever chunk caused it is gone

1684485033524.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wouldn't.

I might put some flexible superglue on it if I needed to ride it while waiting for a replacement but I wouldn't head off on a long ride probably. But I'm very risk averse, I'm sure others will disagree.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Looks borderline to me. I'm personally very sceptical of superglue etc in tyres, though i've never tried it.

If it were me, I'd probably bin it, but could try overpressurizing it (say 130psi), and if it doesn't fail or look really bad at that, ride at 85 but keep an eye on it for getting worse.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks borderline to me. I'm personally very sceptical of superglue etc in tyres, though i've never tried it.
I have, but I'm such a wuss that I replaced the tyre almost immediately afterwards. IIRC It did appear to hold for the short time it was there. I used flexible superglue, not ordinary.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Recycle it*** rather than re-cycling on it!

My tip is - don't superglue significant tyre cuts!

I used superglue when I discovered a cut in my new front tyre just before taking my bike to Spain. I rode the bike for a few days - no problem. Did the big mountain day, including 50 mph descents round tight bends with no barriers and big drop offs from them - no problem. Next morning, before we set off on the day's ride someone pointed at my front wheel. The tyre cut had ripped open and the inner tube was bulging through the hole! (Ex top pro Robert Millar was at the hotel testing bikes and he lent me a front wheel until I could get hold of a new tyre! :becool:)

*** Can tyres and tubes be recycled? I always wonder what to do with them.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Personally I'm so tight I squeak when I walk; so I'd depressurise it, superglue the gash shut, maybe stick an innertube repair patch on the inside of the tyre, leave it for a while, refit, reinflate and see what it looks like. If you do repair it and it looks OK, I'd be sure to inspect it regularly..

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Each to their own, but it surprises me how many people are prepared to bodge repairs on their only point of contact with the road :laugh:

Sharky

Guru
Did it puncture at that exact point? If you'd repaired the tube and replaced in exactly the same place, the patch would have given you extra protection.

Is it front or rear? Might be safer on the rear wheel as a front wheel blowout could be dangerous.

I would definitely relegate it to use on the turbo or a spare back up wheel.

davidphilips

Veteran
Would not want to even cycle with anyone using a tyre like that and if i seen that one one of my bikes even if i done a temporary repair would not cycle home with anyone and would hate the thought of it blowing out in traffic.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Each to their own, but it surprises me how many people are prepared to bodge repairs on their only point of contact with the road :laugh:

Right. I'd think about that for about .2 of a millisecond before i ripped it off and fitted fresh rubber.

**There's a saying for Motorcyclists: "If you've got a £2 head - wear a £2 helmet". Similar could be said here......

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Is there damage to the rim at the same point? The photo is showing something, but not very clear.

I hadn't noticed that before, it does look like a dent but just went out for a closer look and it's just a tear in the decal. The mark underneath is just adhesive. Probably from the tyre lever as I was in a hurry (picking up son from school). Coincidental that it's right near the hole.

1684511794283.png

This show the tube bulging, I like it even less now. As I don't have a turbo or space to put one, while it goes against the grain it's probably going to the bin or recycling centre.

Did it puncture at that exact point? If you'd repaired the tube and replaced in exactly the same place, the patch would have given you extra protection.

Is it front or rear? Might be safer on the rear wheel as a front wheel blowout could be dangerous.

I would definitely relegate it to use on the turbo or a spare back up wheel.

It was front and it punctured in that place. It was very obvious as the hissing from that slit was so loud I thought something was caught in the mudguard. The hole in the tube was only about 2mm though so that's been patched now.

Top Bottom