Gay bikes for teenagers??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Just found this site and old advert. Was it only 1960 and we still used gay for happy and carefree. How things have changed.
I know that language usage has changed over the years. I remember a book being thrown out of the English department at one school I worked in titled "Grammar made Gay". For some reason they couldn't use it in the 80's.
Anyone else found the "G" word used as it used to be (and still should be;))? When was the last usage of gay as it used to be used?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Some info on wiki here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay#Shift_to_.22homosexual.22

Not that I'm gay, or nowt. xx(:sad:

Maz

Guru
guitarpete247 said:
Just found this site and old advert. Was it only 1960 and we still used gay for happy and carefree. How things have changed.
Ah, such innocent times they were!

Alas, the PC-brigade have robbed us of their original meaning.

I remember the good old days when anal fisting was a simple way of referring to a saddle height adjustment technique.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Maz said:
I remember the good old days when anal fisting was a simple way of referring to a saddle height adjustment technique.

:rolleyes:

...and when fettling your bottom bracket simply meant having a quick w@nk. :blush:

longers

Legendary Member
Not picking holes Pete but doesn't it say "Gay bikes for Jeanagers"?

What's a Jeanager? :rolleyes:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maybe Raleigh were trying to coin a new word for a certain social group?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I used the word gay a while back in the office and got a horrific look from colleagues.

Had to explain of the original meaning of gay.

OP
OP
guitarpete247

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
longers said:
Not picking holes Pete but doesn't it say "Gay bikes for Jeanagers"?

What's a Jeanager? :rolleyes:

Dunno but it is the "Teenage Range".

Could be the British bike industries attempt at being hip with the young people and their crazy clothes style. Only 10 years or so late. As was most British industry in the 60's.

There was a really good TV programme on sunday night about how the disabled are portrayed on TV. It is amazing how the language has changed over the last 50 years. Some clips were jaw droppingly bad.

The Flintstones theme song still had " we'll have a gay old time " right through the 1960s.

Top Bottom