Gaz featured on Guardian Blogs!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh yes, that's my comment!!! Hahahahahaha!

Downward

Guru
So what's the point of these blue strips then ?!
Looks too confusing for motorists. So many cyclists too, There were more in the 1st shot then I see on the way to and from work alltogether.

It is a lovely shade of blue....but that's about as useful as it gets in my opinion. It continues to encourage cyclists to gutter hug and to filter up the left.

Get rid of this guff, get some signage up that lets everyone know to look out for cyclists (should be doing that anyway) and some signs that warn of 'cyclists in the middle of the lane', especially at pinch points.

Then sell stickers for cyclists to put on their cars (for the days that they drive) saying 'Sorry I'm holding you up. I'm not on my bike today :sad:'

Sorted. :smile:

Jezston

Über Member
Those blue strips are garish and ugly, as well as being mostly useless.

I can see them being used as nothing more than a stick to bash cyclists with even further.

"Bloody cyclists caused our streets to look ridiculous!"

"Oi! You're supposed to be in that blue bit! Get off the road!"

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Jezston said:
I can see them being used as nothing more than a stick to bash cyclists with even further.

"Bloody cyclists caused our streets to look ridiculous!"

"Oi! You're supposed to be in that blue bit! Get off the road!"

Yes, I see it's only taken 10 posts on that blog before we get the usual neanderthal anti-cyclist comment.

To quote just one, "Cyclists are just ruining our roads". Funny, from my perspective it would seem to be motorists who have the monopoly on road-ruining.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Not the first time i've featured in his blog.
It gets some coverage of the issue at hand from the people that use it. lets hope that someone listens.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Downward said:
So what's the point of these blue strips then ?!
Looks too confusing for motorists. So many cyclists too, There were more in the 1st shot then I see on the way to and from work alltogether.

The blue strips are an attempt to copy 'the trademark "Copenhagen Blue" ®/™ bicycle lanes' which look like this:
3799999975_6c6ccde445_b.jpg

but without bothering to put any real effort into it, a complete waste of money, but then that is what you get for voting Tory. If you want real infrastructure you need to vote for grown up politicians, and there in lies the rub, we don't have many (if any) in this country ;)

Chrisc

Guru
And when they said cycle superhighways I was imagining Dutch style segregated routes away from traffic, not a bit of blue paint. Why would I think that? Oh yes SUPERHIGHWAY, misnomer methinks.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
As Ti pointed out:
BertrandChorizo said:
18 Apr 2010, 12:09PM
Would it not help if cyclists paid road tax? And perhaps Bozzer could choose some other colour than blue, frankly its disgusting and classes will all the dayglo they wear. Cyclists are just ruining our roads. Tax 'em off the road and onto the tube or something, keep roads for cars.

Have left a detailed reply to him and I await the comments about "self righteousness" :smile:

stowie

Legendary Member
Looking at the Copenhagen picture, the blue is used to prioritise cyclists at a junction, whereas TfL are using the blue lanes on the easy stretches and pretty much giving up at junctions, bus stops or anything else that is remotely difficult.

The beginning of the video also shows a narrow strip of blue paint (too narrow for the number of cyclists in the video), but the road markings for cars haven't changed, so it looks like 1.5 lanes for cars. This will surely create all sorts of confusion - should that bus be in the left lane blocking the "superhighway" or not? Why not extend the cycle lane across the whole inside line, at least that will make it a bit clearer.

It is a load of rubbish. Sad, as I thought Boris might make a better fist of the cycle stuff seeing as he cycles. I don't think any party has got any real engagement with cycling - just waffle and encouraging noises about "critical mass" of cycling.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Good vid and second link to the blog...

The smurf ASL/feeder at Tooting Bec was only put in a couple of weeks ago. The 249 bus is allowed to turn right there though.

They are doing the work in stages, so it is still unclear how the CS will eventually look. However, at the moment things are still not looking promising: the lanes are little more than indicators of the route.

The implementation of the additonal measures (i.e not just the blue paint) will be important too, but it's harder to judge the impact of this.

Top Bottom