GB Divide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I came across this on Twitter

View: https://twitter.com/jackthurston/status/897110341024456704

I think it's a nascent idea for an ultra-race, like the Tour Divide. Not my cup of tea but the concept interested me. The idea is that everything to the East of the route drains into the North Sea and everything to the West into the Atlantic (or Irish Sea or the Channel). It seems to be based on this long distance walking route with a description and geographical discussion here.

I've decided to use it as inspiration for a bit of future route planning, to keep me from getting into a rut. I should be able to cover quite a bit of the Southern part of it. I did about 65km of it on my ride on Saturday. I have plans for further bits. Others further North may find it interesting. Or not, as the case may be.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I like it, from looking at the bits near me I would not describe it as a 'route', more a start with this and find the nearest road/cycle path.

No, below is the correct GB divide
UKDivide.jpg

Oxo

Guru
I wonder if this is something in the lines of Dave Hewitt's 'Walking the Watershed',
a pal has my copy of the book so I can't check right now.
Looks interesting.

I'd like to think your red line is a 50-foot city wall with no drawbridges.^_^
Wouldn't want to risk anybody getting out would we!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, that's pretty much how I've been treating it. Mind you, the bit I this weekend did happened to have roads along nearly all of it.

By the way, the ridewithgps link is a bit confusing, as it has two routes. I think one is the walking route and one an attempt to match to the nearest roads. But I'm not really sure.

Looking at the distance markers, it's an out and back loop which crosses over itself many times.

pjd57

Veteran
It's good to see properly scaled projections being used, and not the BBC weather version which shrinks Scotland.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
That's how it looks initially, but one of the arms (I think the N-S one) is foot oriented, and goes straight over mountains and so forth. The other arm, (I think the S-N one) is road-oriented. This is clearer if you look at points where they differ a lot (which tends to be where they cross open country/mountains). Also if you compare the RWGPS link with the link to the long distance walking route it becomes a bit clearer.

I think so but for the whole island rather than just Scotland. This, I think is the DH route.
View attachment 369188
My bad.:blush:
Yeah, there is another bloke who says his Scottish watershed walk is the proper one but I'll stick with DH's.

Top Bottom