GB mainland Four Cardinal Points (LEJOG)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sparked by an enquiry from @Ice2911 I thought I'd share a planned route for the eponymous challenge - an end-to-end exagerated by visiting the most southerly, easterly, westerly and northerly points of the GB mainland en route.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26672556?beta=false
LE, The Lizard, Lowestoft Ness, Ardnamurchan Point, Dunnet Head, JoG
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/full/26672556.png
upload_2018-12-12_12-30-28.png

I have cycled more of these roads than I haven't (iyswim) and the stretch from Boston (Lincs) to Gretna draws on the LEL2017 route.
There is an AudaxUK 'Permanent' (1000) for the long leg from Lowestoft Ness -> Ardnamurchan Point
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/JT01/
https://maps.long-distance.rocks/audax-uk-permanents/JT01
(This route would need amendment to make that leg up to 1000km, if so desired.)
Comments, general or detailed, very welcome.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You've taken the flat route from Pocklington to Thirsk instead of hillier, which on LEL wasn't that sensible. With 4 (5?) ferry links that'd need a bit of planning to co-ordinate with ferry times.

Otherwise it seems sensible and eminently do-able.

When were you thinking of riding it?

I was looking at PBP but can't now ride due to clashes with other things (son's Irish road nationals) so I've been added to the All Points North waiting list to see if I can ride that instead as the Inverness 1200 also seems to be out (UK youth national weekend)

Ice2911

Über Member
Thanks for this Ajax Bay. Exactly what I was thinking. I’ll wait to see what other people add to this thread about the route. Is it easy to reverse the route in ride with gps? As I did LEJOG the other year thought I might do it the other way around and as I live in Norwich could stop and do my washing and have a bath half way through:smile: When you do it if you need a stop there let me know I’m sure we could help out v

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
You've taken the flat route from Pocklington to Thirsk instead of hillier, which on LEL wasn't that sensible. With 4 (5?) ferry links that'd need a bit of planning to co-ordinate with ferry times.
When were you thinking of riding it?
I was looking at PBP . . . All Points North . . .
Pocklington to Thirsk: Yes, I considered just following the LEL route there (and actually did on the way north over the Howardian Hills) but on the way south (unknowingly chasing you, now, having had 'all night in' in the Alston YH, and Yad Moss at dawn) I took the 'Easingwold Variation' and through Stamford Bridge (1066 and all that). This route crabs across to Stillington but then hooks up through Coxwold to minimise time on the A19, at the expense of more climb.
Ferries: Ardrossan>Brodick, Lochranza>Claonaig, Oban>Craignure, Tobermory>Kilchoan, Mallaig>Armadale (Skye Bridge off Skye to Kyle of Lochalsh). Getting an efficient rhythm right for those will be interesting, if time is of the essence.
When? Still in the planning (fun) stage. 2020?
All Points North looks very interesting, but I'll be doing the Bryan Chapman the week before. I intend to ride PBP. What puts me off the Inverness 1200/Ft William 1000 route is the hack up on the A6 and then // to the M74 and essentially Scottish trunk A roads for much of the ride. Fantastic terrain but . . . Compare that with this year's West Highlands 1000: View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/23944972

Is it easy to reverse the route in ride with gps? As I did LEJOG the other year thought I might do it the other way around and as I live in Norwich could stop and do my washing and have a bath half way through:smile: When you do it if you need a stop there let me know I’m sure we could help out v
'Reverse the Route': Open route. "Copy to my routes" left hand panel / scroll down. 'Edit' it. Then click left hand Edit button (LH panel above 'Save') and that offers a drop down including 'reverse route'. Save, and change name to JOGLE etc and change description text. HTH
Thank you very much for the offer.

Last edited:

DCLane

@Ajax Bay - the West Highlands 1000 would have a better route imo. Basically I'd like to be doing an audax or ride around the N of Scotland so I may just decide to do the North Coast 500 solo if I can get a few days off.

Alternatively 2200k over a short-ish time also appeals.

Son no. 2 wants to have a crack at LEJOG under 10 days before he turns 16, although that won't be this year.

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Basically I'd like to be doing an audax or ride around the N of Scotland . . . the North Coast 500 solo .
I get the impression that the North Coast 500 has been so well marketed that people are doing it by motor vehicle a fair bit. Since most of the roads are pretty quiet, the impact that has been mentioned is availability of accommodation.
For Permanents, I reckon these 4 are your options if you don't go DIY: Mark's MR09, and George Berwick's GB02, 03 and 04. First looks 'nicest.
http://www.aukweb.net//perms/detail/MR09
Ardrossan, Cairndow, Drumnadrochit, Crask Inn, Forsinard, Durness, Lochinver, Melvaig, Kilchoan, Campbeltown, Brodick
mr09b.jpg

http://www.aukweb.net//perms/detail/GB02
Berwick-upon-Tweed, Gifford, Edinburgh, Perth, Pitlochry, Inverness, Durness, Keoldale, Bettyhill, Dunnet, Wick, Dornoch, Muir of Ord, Drumnadrochit, Fort William, Tyndrum, Crianlarich, Erskine Bridge, Irvine, Ayr, New Luce, Glen Luce, Drummore, Straiton, Polmont, Perth, Fettercairn, Banchory, Boddam, Huntly, Grantown-On-Spey, Invermoriston, Kylerhea Ferry, Neist Point, Glendale, Kyle of Lochalsh, Spean Bridge, Dalwhinnie, Perth, Edinburgh, Gifford, Berwick-upon-Tweed
http://www.aukweb.net//perms/detail/GB03
Berwick-upon-tweed, Newton St Boswells, Selkirk, Eskdalemuir, Newton Stewart, Drummore, New Luce, Ayr, Irvine, Ardrossan, Arran, Campbeltown, Southend (Kintyre), Tarbert (Loch Fyne), Oban, Invergarry, Kyle of Lochalsh, Sligachan, Neist Point, Kyle of Lochalsh, Lochcarron, Torridon, Gairloch, Ullapool, Keoldale, Bettyhill, Thurso, Dunnet, Golspie, Munlochy, Inverness, Grantown-On-Spey, Huntly, Stonehaven, Dundee, St Andrews, Crail, Falkland, Inverkeitheng, Edinburgh, Berwick-upon-tweed
http://www.aukweb.net//perms/detail/GB04
Berwick-upon-Tweed, Edinburgh, Perth, Pitlochry, Inverness, Durness, Bettyhill, Dunnet Head, Dornoch, Muir of Ord, Drumnadrochit, Fort William, Tyndrum, Crianlarich, Erskine Bridge, Irvine, Ayr, New Luce, Glen Luce, Drummore, Newton Stewart, Penpont, Eskdalemuir, Selkirk, Newton St Boswells, Berwick-upon-tweed

DCLane

I get the impression that the North Coast 500 has been so well marketed that people are doing it by motor vehicle a fair bit. Since most of the roads are pretty quiet, the impact that has been mentioned is availability of accommodation.
For Permanents, I reckon these 4 are your options if you don't go DIY: Mark's MR09, and George Berwick's GB02, 03 and 04. First looks 'nicest.
http://www.aukweb.net//perms/detail/MR09

Apart from Lewis and Harris that covers pretty much everywhere I'd want to visit in that sort of route.

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
I did a LEJOG this year
Share the story of your end-to-end and your route on a new thread. Always interested.

Ice2911

Über Member
FABBFE75-5F61-44E8-B38B-D9909040968F.png
Ajax Bay can I quiz you about the section around Newmarket and Cambridge. Is this in the A14 and M11 or is there a cycle path I’m not spotting?
Thanks in advance

Ice2911

Über Member
Ajax Bay just checked your original and it doesn’t do this. Something must have happened when I reversed the route. Any ideas what might have happened? Thanks

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Any ideas what might have happened?
Maybe I'd set the routing to 'driving' (I normally do but drag the route off motorways/main roads) and when it's reversed the routing software re-routes between the two click points I used to go through Cambridge. Those two points were the Toot Hill road (SW of Cambridge) and Newmarket.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Going through Houghton Regis not the most scenic but can see you have done that to keep the distance down.

Unless you particularly want to go through Biggleswade (and use the A603 into Cambridge not a good road to cycle) I would go right over the A1 at 584 km then head down through Hinxworth, Ashwell (nice campsite), Steeple Morden, Litlington, Meldreth, Shepreth, then join a good wide cycle way along left side the A10 to Hauxton. At Hauxton turn right to Great Shelford, and then Teversham to join your existing route at Stow Cum Quy.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You are also taking the A17 out of Kings Lynn. You do not want to be travelling on that road unless you have a death wish. There is a ferry to West Lynn then stay in the lanes. Rejoin A17 at Sutton bridge briefly then go left and strike west for Spalding. Then you can either keep west and north via Sleaford, Bardney, Wragby, Market Rasen, rejoining your route at Caistor, or strike north east from Spalding to Kirton to join your existing route there. But in general stay off A roads in the Fens as the absence of motorways means they become defacto motorways.

Last edited:

k_green

You are also taking the A17 out of Kings Lynn. You do not want to be travelling on that road unless you have a death wish. There is a ferry to West Lynn then stay in the lanes. Rejoin A17 at Sutton bridge briefly then go left and strike west for Spalding. Then you can either keep west and north via Sleaford, Bardney, Wragby, Market Rasen, rejoining your route at Caistor, or strike north east from Spalding to Kirton to join your existing route there. But in general stay off A roads in the Fens as the absence of motorways means they become defacto motorways.

Seriously, Lincolnshire has some of the most dangerous roads in the country. People drive like loons on them. The A17 is a prime example then add in potential strong winds for unpredictable handling and I wouldn't go near it.

Top Bottom